Like most institutions that hold most of the wealth and power in US society today, On Earth Peace
is a historically white organization, springing from a historically white denomination, both of which are laced with attitudes, policies, and practices that systemically reinforce white supremacy and limit full ownership and participation by people of color.
We have come to realize that we can be effective in our work for peace, only when this work includes undoing the institutional racism within our own organization and community. In addition, we hope to model for other white-majority organizations how this transformation is not only necessary, but also possible – by sharing our journey as a learning community.
The Anti-Racism Transformation Team is the next step in the decade-long effort of On Earth Peace to understand how race impacts our organization and community – both internal to the organization, and externally in our program offerings.
The way of peace is the way of justice – because injustice is violence, and in violence there is no peace. Through the creation of this team, we intend to effectively and credibly help constituent peacebuilders end violence, oppression, and war by addressing injustices and walking a path toward full ownership and participation by people of all racial identities. On Earth Peace is committed to becoming an anti-racist and fully multicultural organization and community.Who Is On The ARTT?
The Anti-Racism Transformation Team (ARTT) of On Earch Peace has nine members:
- Carla Gillespie (Englewood, OH): OEP board member and grant writer
- Caitlin Haynes (Baltimore, MD): OEP board member and healthcare worker
- Heidi Gross (Chicago, IL): University program administrator
- Carol Rose (Tucson, AZ): Pastor, peacemaker, and former nonprofit director
- Bill Scheurer (Lindenhurst, IL): OEP executive director
- Amaha Sellassie (Dayton, OH): PhD student and community organizer
- Don Mitchell (Harrisburg, PA): OEP board member and church ministry leader
You can see all these wonderful people in the photo gallery on this page.What Is the ARTT Doing?
The team began its work with training facilitated by Crossroads Antiracism Organizing & Training
, consultants who have worked with On Earth Peace since 2012. The team is empowered to:
- Lead and hold On Earth Peace accountable for dismantling racism within the organization, by partnering with the board, staff, and stakeholders to create policies, practices, norms, and spaces consistent with racial justice.
- Move On Earth Peace from being an organization that is simply aware of its institutional racism, to a fully transformed multiracial, multicultural, and anti-racist institution.
- Create and help carry out the Anti-Racism Transformation Plan, to become a genuinely multiracial and multicultural organization and peacebuilder community.
- Help On Earth Peace become more accountable to the communities of color with whom we are connecting, especially as we seek to expand our constituency within and beyond the Church of the Brethren.
- Share the story of this institutional anti-racism work with – and provide continued anti-racism education to – On Earth Peace staff, board, constituencies, and stakeholders.
On Earth Peace understands racism to be racial bias (which social science research shows most people have in some form), plus the misuse of systemic power. What Is the $175,000 For?
This is the total 5-year investment On Earth Peace has made, is making, and will make in the ARTT and its work for the years 2013-2017. This includes expenses for meetings and travel, and training costs for ARTT members, OEP board members, and other participants throughout those five years.
Our entire board and staff are committed to this anti-racism work, which is reflected in these serious budget commitments. We hope you are committed to this anti-racism work with us.Donate By Mail | Contact Us
If you prefer to donate offline, you can mail your check to: On Earth Peace | PO Box 188 - 500 Main Street | New Windsor, MD 21776. Please print "ARTT Campaign" in the memo line.
For more information, please call 410-635-8704 or email us at [email protected]About On Earth PeaceOn Earth Peace, Working Together for Justice & Peace, helps people use the spiritual and practical disciplines of active nonviolence, community building, and conflict transformation to overcome violence, oppression, and war, through the liberating power of radical love. Join us at https://www.facebook.com/onearthpeace or http://onearthpeace.org/