Help This DAD Live Again!!!

For: Michael Layden
Organizer: Erika Monell
of $75,000 goal
19% Complete
Raised by 133 donors
This fundraiser is closed. Thank you for your support!

The Story

In 2004, Michael was hospitalized with raw, severe rashes near the lymph nodes at the top of his legs, which doctors believed at the time to be flesh-eating disease.  He received high doses of intravenous antibiotics and eventually the rashes went away.  After being released from the hospital, he was told one of the blood tests he took while in the hospital finally came back and it was positive for Lyme.  He was prescribed approximately 2 weeks of oral antibiotic treatment and quickly recovered.

During this post-Lyme period, Michael thrived at work in his position as Senior Information Security Analyst, regularly worked out, played tennis, participated in multiple triathlons and was very active in his church. He was voted Sunday School Teacher of the Year, was one of three charter members of Operation Chillout in NJ (a volunteer organization that donates and delivers warm clothing, food and other assistance to the homeless), established a Father-Daughter Valentine Dance in his home town, volunteered as a gymnastics coach so he could spend more time with his daughter, was named Director of Youth Activities for the Knights of Columbus, and so on. 

In short, he never thought about being sick again.  That is, until February 13, 2011. 

That night, after returning home from a wonderful weekend in Connecticut with his daughter Brielle at her cheerleading competition, he began to feel very sick.  The first symptoms appeared out of nowhere (cognitive dysfunction, extreme fatigue, shortness of breath, and a strange heaviness in his legs), and were precipitous and debilitating from the beginning.  Because Michael had been so healthy for the past seven years or so, he didn’t even have a primary care physician.  He went to a doctor that was highly recommended, but after running a battery of tests, everything came back negative and eventually the doctor gave up.  After the initial onset of illness on February 13, Michael tried to go back to work a few times but was never again able to get through even a half day of work.  The seriousness of the symptoms progressed so quickly and severely that he had to move from his apartment because he was no longer able to climb stairs.  He then had to move in with his mother because he was developing neurological issues and was unable to walk.  Soon he was having difficulty speaking and eventually was no longer able to stand or sit upright.  For one long stretch, he even was unable to live without the assistance of supplemental oxygen (and almost died when the ambulance that was taking him to the hospital unknowingly ran out of oxygen). He quickly went from short-term, to long-term, to permanent disability.  He became, as one former VA nurse described him, “catastrophically” disabled.

From February 13, 2011 through today, Michael has been admitted overnight in approximately 12 different hospitals, half a dozen rehab/nursing homes, and visited countless emergency rooms.  He has been seen by well over 200 different physicians representing all specializations, dozens of alternative/integrative health practices, and undergone virtually every test available for every organ (including x-rays, ultrasounds, scopes, angiograms, CT scans, MRIs, thigh muscle biopsies, multiple taps of his spinal fluid, etc.).  He even blacked out during his cardio-pulmonary stress test and his tilt table test, but doctors couldn’t find a cause.  Every supplement/medication he was prescribed eventually made him sicker, acting like a poison on his system.  He developed so many food allergies and intolerances that his weight went from 152 lbs. at the onset of the illness down to 119 lbs.

Looking back, doctors have explained that increased stress in Michael’s life resulting from simultaneously going through a painful divorce and a failed business in 2007-2008, in conjunction with consistently working 60-70 hours a week at his day job in the subsequent years probably weakened his immune system enough to allow the Lyme that was lying dormant from 2004 to finally overtake his body's natural defenses.

Along the way Michael was told he had some very serious and frightening diseases: Multiple Sclerosis, ALS/Lou Gehrig’s Disease, Guillain-Barre syndrome, etc.

Living in isolation on a hospital bed, unable for the most part to speak, stand, walk, or even sit-up, and reliant upon others to do practically everything for him, Michael neither refused to give up on God nor give up hope.  He knew by this time that he had Lyme and some co-infections but none of the very few Lyme literate doctors in NJ were able to help.  In fact, no matter how experienced or compassionate the doctors were, the truth was he was getting more and more debilitated.  He also knew that he had a genetic issue, which prevented his body and brain from removing toxins. No matter how small a drop or crumb of medication or supplement he took, every single time it was like ingesting poison.  Desperate, one night he did an Internet search on “brain detox” and one of the only results listed was for a Dr. Sponaugle in Florida. 

On Tuesday, April 30, 2013, although so sick he was barely able to whisper, he joined a web/conference call hosted by Dr. Sponaugle and had enough strength in his voice to ask the question, “Can you help me?”  Dr. Sponaugle (Dr. S) told him that before having him travel all the way down to FL in his condition, he would make an exception and review preliminary blood and urine work before deciding to accept or reject him as a patient.  This was an excruciating period of uncertainty and waiting.  Michael knew from his research that Dr. S was probably one of the only doctors in the country with the experience, knowledge and insight to even attempt to help him and his complicated, advanced condition. Long story short, Michael finally received the good news!  Dr. S was accepting Michael as his patient!

After arriving in Florida on July 13, 2013 (on a train sleeper car because of Michael’s inability to sit upright), it didn’t take long for Michael to hear some sobering news.  During his initial meeting and evaluation of Michael in his office, Dr. S told Michael that if he had known the details of his condition and history in advance, he wouldn’t have had him come all the way down to FL. Dr. S later told the story of how he had to leave his office to pray about what to do with him (based on his physical condition and difficulty speaking, he was initially concerned Michael indeed had ALS).  Eventually Dr. S returned to his office and began looking at Michael’s medical history in earnest and before long began making sense of Michael’s medical history, even explaining why Michael had reacted so violently to many of the medications and supplements that were intended to heal him.

Both the doctor and Michael are extremely pleased and encouraged at how he is handling the treatments so far. By the end of the first week, Michael had not only been able to tolerate the detox protocol administered to him, he progressed to the point where he spoke more in that first week than he did in the previous 2 ½ years combined! Michael is also making fantastic progress with his energy levels and is even able to sit up for slightly but noticeably longer periods of time.  Michael knows this is his best and most likely last chance at recovery.  He has witnessed other Dr. S patients in person make miraculous recoveries and knows he himself will be one of those miracles.

It appears to be just a matter of time and money now before Michael is able to regain his health, but he needs your help.  Without your financial donations, Michael may not have enough money to receive all the treatments needed to enable him to continue talking, to eventually sit-up, stand, walk, participate in social activities, and become a contributing member of society again - all the things most people take for granted.

Please feel free to email Michael with any questions or well wishes at [email protected] .

You can read details of Dr. Sponaugle’s highly successful approach for healing Lyme patients and see highlights of a few of his many success stories at

God Bless!

Fundraiser Updates

Posted on September 7, 2013

Posted on September 7, 2013

Tuesday, August 27

It is Tuesday morning at Dr. S’ office. I have recovered from the draining intensity of the “hospital” weekend and lie in my reclining wheelchair holding my bottle of parasite cleanse, as if it were a bottle of liquid enemy. The prescribed dosage? 30 drops twice a day. I convey to my nurse the events corresponding to the last time I did a parasite cleanse. Prescribed dosage was the same, 30 drops. I started with one drop, and ended with one drop. I was severely sick for two weeks.  

I tell her that doc wants me to start with 15 drops. I give her a look of meekness in an obvious attempt to garner sympathy and rally her to my side.

“I think 15 drops is too much for you,” she says. Mission accomplished.

“What are the possible side effects?” I ask.

“Some people throw up, immediately and violently.”

I look at her, then around at approximately 35-40 patients in the room either getting or waiting for their IV medicines.

“I really don’t want to throw up in front of an audience of forty.”

I think for a few minutes, “I have anti-nausea medicine in my bag. Should I take it?”

“Yes, good idea. Let me go talk to Dr. Crozier and see what he thinks about the dosage.”

I finish taking the nausea medicine as the nurse returns.

“Doc said to start with 10 drops.”

I was hoping for 5, but know it’d be a waste of energy to haggle any longer.  She administered the drops under my tongue and I waited.

“If you make it past an hour or so, you should be fine.”

I lie still for 20 minutes or so, waiting for Armageddon, but it doesn’t come. I relaxed a little and started talking with other patients.

When I first arrived at the Wellness Center seven weeks earlier, the thought of being in that large, open room with all those other patients was overwhelming. Having been isolated for so long, the idea of being near or with a crowd of people was both foreign and terrifying. The room was always packed, people from all over the country and beyond, just hoping to get better. There was a smaller overflow room but even that brought on panic at the thought.

Way back in the beginning, on the first day when I was receiving detox treatments, I requested to be taken to the overflow room.  I remember not feeling well and having a few near panic episodes. The cacophony of people’s voices and the loud whir of the air-filtration system beckoned my PTSD symptoms. It gladly heeded the call. I hid behind closed eyes and familiar, comforting music dripping into my earphones.

Quite astonishingly, I started to feel better after the first day, and my voice even came back. What a beautiful gift. Talking. A luxury and a blessing (if you have been a spouse for over 10 years, you may not have the same mindset). I did without speaking for the good part (bad part actually) of 2 ½ years. Gaining my voice back was like getting a bridge built from the island that is me to a village on the mainland.

As I lay waiting for the hour to pass, a few patients stop by to chat.  I am surprised at their desire to tell me how much of an inspiration I am to them.  Me? Seriously? I never dreamed that my stubbornness and hardheadedness would one day be a source of inspiration to fellow Lyme sufferers and even to some who are living otherwise healthy lives. I always pray that God enable me to live a life worth living, regardless of my physical disabilities or health condition. But what do I do with this?

In the early stages of my illness, when doctors told me that a diagnosis of serious neuromuscular disorder such as Lou Gehrig’s Disease or Guillain-Barre Syndrome were real possibilities, I had to dig down deep and pray hard about how I could possibly live a life worth living. How could I contribute to other people’s lives if I was unable to move any of my body parts? After much prayer and soul searching, it came to me that if all I was able to do was pray for others all day, then that indeed was a worthy life. My fear of having those dreaded diseases diminished and I knew the only way I could survive this illness was to align my will with God's and trust He would lead me through this journey for some greater good. It felt comforting to be even a small part of that greater good. It's much easier to battle when I believe I'm helping the good team win. This illness is evil. When I pray the Our Father and it comes to the end part that says, "and deliver us from evil," I think of this illness. God will deliver me from this illness. There is no way I'm going to give up the fight and allow evil to win.

On a lighter note, it's funny how often I've been inspired to keep fighting by the Black Knight character in the movie Monty Python and the Holy Grail. Granted, he’s fighting for the wrong side, but his insistence that every life threatening injury is "'Tis but a scratch," is both humorous and incredibly endearing. That's a credo I now try to live by!

I have learned that we, Sponaugle’s patients, are each others inspiration and strength. We understand what each other is going through and the support given and received is quite beautiful to witness. In the real world back home, if I am honest, I felt like a freak at times. It is not often you see someone being transported in a reclining wheelchair. Here, I am just another person battling the same disease, sharing common challenges and inspiring hopes of recovery.  That is why I call the wellness center The Safe House.

Wednesday, August 28

I wake up around 7:00 AM and immediately feel the “air hunger” that sometimes comes with Babesia.  I have had it worse, but know that if I take the parasite cleanse again today, even at the same dosage, there could be serious trouble. My Sponaugle appointment is at 11:30, but first, I have to go to the hospital at 10:00 to get a PICC line put into my arm. A PICC line is a long, flexible tube that is inserted into a vein in the upper arm. It’s advanced until the end is right near the heart to allow intravenous access. It is necessary for people whose veins start to collapse after too many pokes and therefore their veins become inaccessible to needles.

My assigned nurse, let’s call him David, is quite confident in his abilities, so this enables me to relax a little bit.

“I’ve done over a thousand of these insertions.”

“Good.  All I need is one.”

We begin to talk a little as he prepares for the procedure.  Discussion somehow leads to our divorces. Even though we just met, we feel comfortable talking about our shared wounds.

“Yes,” I say, “I have forgiven my ex.  I even pray for her and her new husband.  I don’t harbor any ill will towards her; but the pain just doesn’t go away. Even with all the pain and uncertainty I’ve had with this illness, I would say the pain from the divorce is still much worse. After I am physically healed, I know I need to address the emotional issues.”

“I understand what you are saying.” David responds coolly, “I have the same pain that is not going away.  After all these years, it is still there, affecting my relationship with my current girlfriend. I need to see a chaplain.”

And that was the end of the conversation. Stoically discussed, but understood that ghosts lie just below the surface.

David is now ready to start the procedure.

“Should be over in less than an hour.”


Two hours pass.

“This is the first time in two years I’ve had to go to someone’s left arm.  Sorry for the pain and inconvenience.”

“Not a problem,” I say, “Just another chapter in the book.”

It’s 1:30 and we’re back at Sponaugle’s. Nurse assesses me and leaves to speak with Dr. S.  She returns and says that instead of doing the parasite cleanse, we are going to do a detox drip followed up with some IV fluids.

I smile and breathe a little easier.

Friday, August 30

Friday evening after a lymphatic drainage massage and a quick bite to eat, Williams and I drive quickly to see the sunset at Clearwater Beach. Since it’s Friday, all the parking spots are taken. We circle around the parking lot a half dozen times, losing valuable minutes as the sun is about to set. I tell him to pull into an illegal parking spot which enables us to see the ocean clearly. What can I say? It’s the rebel in me. Because we are in a front row spot, even with me lying down in the back seat, we see all the colorful beach goers passing to and fro on the walkway in front of us.  Unfortunately, the colorful folks stop directly in front of us and block our view of the upcoming display.  We crane our necks and see what we can as the fiery orb takes a final bow and disappears beyond the dark blue waters in the distance.

After a few minutes of silence, I say to Williams, “I love how the sun makes the surrounding sky and clouds so brilliant and beautiful, even after it goes down and is no longer visible.”

I think about my daughter Brielle, whom I haven’t seen since I left NJ seven weeks ago, and my sister Diane, who passed away, way too young, in 2003.

“Some people are like that,” I say.

Posted on September 1, 2013

Posted on September 1, 2013

Friday, August 23

“Have you tried sitting up since you’ve been here?” asked Dr. S.

“No.” I shook my head, “I’ve been afraid to. The last time I tried, about 4 months ago, I was laid out completely for almost a month.” I responded.

“Do you want to try it now? It’s been what, almost 6 weeks since you’ve been here?”

“Well, I guess, but just a little at a time.”

Williams adjusted my reclining wheelchair from its current flat, 180 degree position, to a 45 degree angle.  It felt strange but good to be this much closer to upright.  I haven’t been able to sit upright for over a year.

Within a few minutes, I was feeling the familiar pressure in my head and lungs building. The same pressure as if I was being held upside down. Dr. S was talking but I wasn’t able to follow what was being said. It was like my hearing was going and things were quickly turning silent. I asked my aide Williams to put the blood pressure cup on my arm. I could see the readout on the table.  I was disappointed but felt relief that at least I had proof of how I was feeling. I interrupted Dr. S and pointed to the readout.

“Hmmm, 170 over 100, that’s not what I was hoping for. It is quite strange, really. OK, you can lower his seatback again.”

I allowed myself to hope it was going to be different this time.  No worries, though. It is early in the game and I still have plenty of faith.

In 10 minutes we retook my blood pressure and it was back to the usual 120 over 80. I was feeling much better and the heavy brain fog improved dramatically, although not completely.

We discussed my treatment plan for next week. After 6 weeks of detoxing, I was to start taking a parasite cleanser on Monday, but only under the supervision of a nurse.  Evidently I could get very sick from it and they wanted to make sure they would be able to “reverse” any ill effects if necessary.

I left the safe house that is Dr. S’s office and headed directly for my 6:00 lymphatic drainage appointment.

Even before the massage began, lying on the table I felt a sharp pain on the left/center part of my chest.  I mentioned it to Deborah, my masseuse, and she asked if I still wanted to move forward with the massage.  I said yes.

The pain was getting worse now. It radiated from the center of my chest up through my jaw and to my head. Headache was getting unbearable. I made her stop. 

“It can’t be acid reflux,” I managed to get the words out through the pain. “I just took a Prilosec a little over an hour ago… and I haven’t eaten anything.”

Deborah massaged my jaw and head but there was no improvement.  I tried to sit up a little, thinking maybe it was gas or indigestion.  Pain was severe now and getting worse.

“What do you want to do? Deborah asked, holding my hand.

I didn’t respond right away. I knew the symptoms of a heart attack and this matched the symptoms pretty well.  I also knew that due to my blood clotting factors I was an extremely high risk of a heart attack or stroke. Since my illness began 2 ½ years ago, I have had my fill of hospitals. I hadn’t had to go to the hospital ER in almost 9 months and didn’t want to ruin that streak.

I waited a little while longer, but the pain kept getting more severe. Lord, I don’t know what is happening, but I will follow you wherever you take me.

“Call Dr. S’s office,” I said reluctantly.

A few minutes later an ambulance was on the way. Damn, another hospital.

In the ambulance the EMT asked, “Where is the pain?”

I told her.

“On a scale of 1 to 10, what level is your pain?”


She administered an EKG and gave me 4 baby aspirin.

“Do you feel any better?”


She pulled the EKG stickers off my chest. “Sorry about that.  I know it hurts.”

“Make that a 10 out of 10,” I said.  She laughed.

She administered a spray of nitroglycerin under my tongue.

After a few minutes, “Do you feel any better?”


She administered a second spray of nitroglycerin under my tongue.

After a few more minutes, “Do you feel any better?”

“Yes. The pain is much better. Down to a 3.”

“A 3? Very good!”

Hmm, pain went away with nitroglycerin sprays.  That was not good for anyone rooting against a heart attack.

My cell phone rings.

“Hello, Michael?  This is Dr. S.  How are you feeling now?”

I told him my situation and he said he was glad I was on my way to the ER.

“I will give you my cell number.  Have the doctor in the ER call me if necessary.”

We hung up and I saw there was a new voice mail message on my cell phone.

I listened to it. “Hello.  This is Dr. S. I heard you are having severe chest pain.  I am sorry.  We shouldn’t have had you try to sit up. I thought we were helping you. I will try to call you again shortly.” I thought of Dr. S and suddenly the sadness overwhelmed me. I couldn’t wait to tell him it wasn’t his fault.  I knew this chest pain had nothing to do with me sitting up. I didn’t care if I had a heart attack for myself, but what if he now considered me too a high a risk to treat? Oh God, please no.  The thought of going home unhealed was unfathomable. Back to an isolated hospital bed in my bedroom. Dr. S was my last hope. Please don’t be a heart attack.

EMT asked, “How is your pain now? Any better?”

“Yes, definitely a little better.”

“On a scale of 1 to 10?”

“I’d say a 2.9.”

While in the ER, I had to text with my left hand since my right arm had the IV in the bendy part of my elbow.  God I missed my daughter Brielle just then, but with my family so far away in NJ, I didn’t want to alarm them if it turned out to be nothing. The only person I notified was my new friend from Dr. S’ office, a patient from Montana. She wanted to come visit me immediately. She was pretty drugged up from her pain killers and it was getting late by now, so I told her no, she could visit me tomorrow if I was admitted.

I was admitted and taken up to my room.  I was left out in the hallway on my stretcher while the transporter went to the nurse’s station.

The sound was blaring from my soon to be roommate’s television.  My PTSD symptoms kicked in and I started to panic. If I were to have to put up with that noise I would either harm my roommate or myself.  No, I couldn’t risk being reported in the police blotter. I would not allow myself to be admitted.

“Hello! Hello!” I tried to get someone’s attention.

The transporter came back and told me I would be given the last private room available. Oh Lord, thank you! Crisis averted. The relief I felt was palpable.

Monday, August 26

Minutes passed into hours passed into days.  Monday morning and I’m still in the hospital.  Third blood lab testing for a heart attack came back negative and the sonogram of my heart also came back negative.  Thank you God!  Dr. S would most likely still treat me. Woohoo! The hospital doctors didn’t want to release me from the hospital though because my D-dimer was still extremely high, meaning my risk of heart attack/stroke was too high.  I told them I had an appointment with Dr. S at 10:30 AM and had to be released no later than 10:00 AM. It was a big week of new treatments for me.  Finally starting to kill the Babesia. If I weren’t released I would check myself out. I was finally released at 1:00 and went straight to Dr. S’ office.

I met with Dr. S and Gary, my assigned nurse, for about an hour.  Dr. S reviewed all my blood work again and asked me questions about my apparent “heart attack.”

“I think you may have something called Diffuse Esophageal Spasms.”

Later that night, I looked it up and read that Diffuse Esophageal Spasms mimic heart attacks and can be treated with nitroglycerin. Dang, this guy is unbelievable!  All the times I’ve gone to the ER with symptoms of a heart attack and no one ever mentioned it as a possible diagnosis.

I go to bed Monday night exhausted but I say my prayers. God, thank you for letting it not be a heart attack. Thank you for allowing Dr. S to still treat me. Thank you for my friends from Montana and Mobile coming to visit me in the hospital. Thank you for all the people that have supported me throughout this illness and also those that have contributed donations to my website or forwarded the link to others or have prayed for me. Please help all people with Chronic Lyme disease have the strength and courage to continue fighting this awful disease and to regain their health. Please help me tolerate the parasite cleanse tomorrow. Lord, you are in the driver’s seat and I am just glad to be riding shot gun. Amen.

About the Organizer

Report Fundraiser

Report Fundraiser

*Please report fraud and Terms of Service violations only. Personal disputes will not be reviewed.

* YouCaring will not use or share your phone number or other information for marketing purposes.



Grab Our Widget

Help This DAD Live Again!!!

Grab Our Widget
Facebook Share Button