EO Nepal earthquake relief fund
We at EO Nepal need help!
April 25th 2015 Nepal
- More than 1,000 people have been reported dead after a huge 7.9 magnitude earthquake hit Nepal
- The country’s deputy prime minister, Bamdev Gautam, has declared a state of emergency and appealed for humanitarian assistance across the region.
- 18 climbers were found dead on Mount Everest after the tremor triggered an avalanche. Many more are trapped.
- The total death toll has risen quickly throughout the day, and is now thought to include at least 634 in the Kathmandu Valley and 300 more in the capital.
- 36 people have also been reported dead India, 12 in China, four in Bangladesh and six in Tibet.
- The quake caused dozens of buildings in Kathmandu to collapse, including the historic Dharahara Tower.
- The city’s main hospital is overwhelmed by casualties and residents are facing a night on the streets with nowhere to go.
- Indian prime minister Narendra Modi has ordered an immediate dispatch of relief and medical teams to Nepal, and the evacuation of Indian tourists.
- UK foreign secretary Philip Hammond said the government was in close contact with Nepal, and the British Embassy is offering assistance to the authorities and British Nationals in the country.
Update!!! Another earthquake with magnitude 6.7 occurred near KATHMANDU, Nepal at 07:09:08.90 UTC on Apr 26, 2015. (This event has been reviewed by a seismologist.)