Lucy's Tumor Removal / Cancer Treatment Fundraiser

For: Lucy Eppstein
Organizer: Camille Eppstein
of $3,000 goal.
Raised by 24 donors
31% Complete
This fundraiser is closed. Thank you for your support!

The Story

The Eppstein family is having a rough year.  My husband was laid off from his job in January and thankfully found a new job pretty quickly. Unfortunately, however, it is 1000 miles away from Wisconsin, in Denver, Colorado.  With the housing market the way it is, we were told by our real estate agent that in order to sell our house that we would need to price it $40,000 less than what we paid for it just 3 years ago.  It did sell, but we are losing 70% of our equity.

As we are preparing for our move at the end of May, I am getting ready for a cervical disc replacement in my neck (C-5 C-6).  My surgery is taking place tomorrow, May 7th, 2013.  My daughter Emily is also having surgery on the same day for strabismus (crossed eyes).  Both of us have had longstanding issues with this and didn't want to start over from square 1 with new doctors in Colorado so we thought it best to go through with both surgeries before the big move.

Well, here we were, with plenty of stress in our lives, having just met our deductible with one insurance company and now facing a new deductible because of my husband's job change and 2 surgeries and now one more crisis has hit our family.

You see, last night when I was out walking my dog Lucy and my foster dog Rylee, I noticed something strange with Lucy's belly.  It looked like it was hanging down and something just didn't seem right.  I felt around and felt a mass and my heart sank.  I went straight home with tears streaming down my eyes and brought her to my room and took a good look at her.  Sure enough a mass about an inch and a half long was on the lower part of her belly.  It was irregular shaped and hard to the touch and I knew what that might mean based on my limited vet tech training.  I immediately took photos and facebooked them to the vet tech at my vet's office and she recommended that I leave a voice mail to have her looked at a.s.a.p.  I did leave a message right away and we saw the vet today, May 6th.

The vet confirmed that it is a mammary tumor and that it needs to be removed asap.  Given how quickly it grew and it's characteristics, it's most likely cancer but we won't know for sure until the biopsy results come in.  She had blood work and xrays and those were all clear so it looks like it's been caught early and it hasn't spread to her lungs or brain.

So, here is the part where I ask for your help.  Anyone who knows me knows how much pride I have and how difficult it is for me to ask for any kind of help, no matter how small.  For me to be doing this means that I am truly in a desperate situation.  With my medical bills and Emily's bills, and the money we are losing on our house we are having to borrow from Brian's 401K's to be able to put our down payment on our next house in Colorado.

I really need your help to pay for Lucy's surgery.  All our finances are tied up in paying for our own medical expenses and the down payment on our next house.  Other than borrowing, we really can't afford Lucy's surgery.  Can I please ask everyone to just consider donating just a small amount?  Even just $2 or $5 would help towards the cost of her surgery.  I can't lose my baby... She is a dog that was rescued from an overcrowded shelter just moments before getting put to sleep. Please donate and pass this on to your friends and family and other animal lovers.  We are not asking for much... just a little help to get us through a really rough patch.  Her surgery costs are estimated to be between $1020-1300.  I will try and upload a scan of the estimate if I can here or if not I will post it to my Facebook page.

Please help...

Thank you.
Camille Eppstein

Update: 5/13/13

Well, I wish I had good news, but I don't. Lucy's histology report came back today and it's not good. Her tumor is classified as a complex adenocarcinoma which has metastised to her regional lymph node. Although the tumor and lymph node was removed with clear margins, there is evidence that malignant cells may have already spread. We will need time to weigh out our options... I am raising the donation limit to $3000 as we will need additional funds to treat her cancer now that we know that it has metastisised.  We were really hoping that the surgery would take care of it, but unfortunately it's not going to be enough.  I will start researching our options in the metro Denver area to see what her treament options are.  In the meantime, please keep Lucy and our family in your prayers.

Fundraiser Updates

Posted on May 19, 2013

Posted on May 19, 2013

Today was our final Milwaukee Area Boston Terrier Meetup Group meetup before we move to Colorado.  It was such a bittersweet day.  We had so much fun seeing all our other BT friends but sad to say goodbye.  I brought Rylee (my foster) along because Lucy is still recovering from surgery and still has her staples in.  My wonderful friends in the meetup group took up a collection for Lucy and today we managed to raise another $79.00 to help pay for Lucy's treatment.  Words alone cannot express my gratitude to everyone who has contributed to her cause.  This means so much to me and my family.  Thank you so much.


P.S.  Joe, one of the members of our group, took a video of the meetup and will be uploading it to youtube.  As soon as I have the link, post it here.  Thanks Joe!

Posted on May 13, 2013

Posted on May 13, 2013

Well, I wish I had good news, but I don't.  Lucy's histology report came back today and it's not good news.  Her tumor is classified as a complex adenocarcinoma which has metastised to her regional lymph node.  Although the tumor and lymph node was removed with clear margins, there is evidence that malignant cells may have already spread.  We will need time to weigh out our options... please keep her and our family in your prayers.

Posted on May 8, 2013

Posted on May 8, 2013

Well Lucy had her surgery today and it went very well.  She was able to come home the same day and she is resting comfortably by my side.  Her scar is pretty significant but the wonderful Dr. Gooch at the Animal Health Center in Watertown, WI is confidant that he was able to get the tumor out completely and with clean margins.  Now we just have to wait for the pathology report to find out if it's cancer.  We are staying optimistic for the moment and her blood work and x-rays showed no signs of any other tumors.

Once again, I can't thank everyone enough for their generosity in helping us out during this difficult time for our family.  I am truly touched by everyone's caring words and prayers.  While we didn't reach our $1000 goal in order to pay for the surgery, we came close and Dr. Gooch felt that it was very important to get the tumor out as soon as possible to give Lucy the best chance at survival.  I will keep the fundraiser open for a few more weeks in hopes that we can close the gap, but again, I am just so thankful and amazed at how far we've been able to come in such a short time.

I will be eternally grateful to all of you.

Thank you,
The Eppstein Family.

About the Organizer

Report Fundraiser

Report Fundraiser

Please report potential fraud and Terms of Service violations only. Personal disputes will not be reviewed.

We require this in case we need to contact you for further details.*

* YouCaring will not distribute your phone number to any third parties or use it for marketing purposes.



Add Our Donation Widget to Your Site
Grab Our Widget

Lucy's Tumor Removal / Cancer Treatment Fundraiser

Grab Our Widget