Hurricane Irma’s impact is being felt widespread across the Caribbean, the state of Florida and beyond. There are many in need, and a lot of ways to help.
Carolina Panther’s linebacker and Miami native, Jeremy Cash, has partnered with the Roaring Riot Podcast to help highlight a special group that is in desperate need of funding and support. The Zoological Wildlife Foundation of Miami.
“Unlike many humans who have the means to evacuate during a hurricane, animals don't always have the ability to do so. As Hurricane Irma made landfall in South Florida, it left a tremendous amount of damage in its wake, especially at the Zoological Wildlife Foundation. ZWF is an educational zoo that not only provides homes for numerous injured and endangered animals, but is also a place that is near and dear to my heart. I ask that we come together and collectively help rebuild all that was lost to help ensure the care of the animals housed at ZWF. Any donation that you can spare, large or small, is greatly appreciated.”
The ZWF is an organization dedicated to the educating the public about rare and endangered animal species in captivity and the wild. They provide a place for children and adults to experience many animals first hand. They also focus on the conservation of many species including, lions, tigers, jaguars, several types of primates, and many more.
While we are happy to report all the animals and their families made it through the storm safely, the facilities did experience a significant amount of damage. This has caused the organization to continue to be closed since September 7th, when storm preparation began.
Per the ZWF, below are some examples of the critical damages caused by Hurricane Irma:
- Most of the animal enclosures have been destroyed
- Trees have been torn from the ground and are scattered all over the property
- Branches are tangled in the electric poles
- There are live electrical wires on the ground
- There is no power at the facility
- No running water
- We are running out of diesel fuel to power our generators
All of us here at the Roaring Riot Podcast are joining with Jeremy to ask for any funding support, large or small. We also ask that even if you cannot support this cause monetarily at this time, please share with your friends, family and social networks. Sharing goes a long way in helping organizations like the ZWF get the funding and support that they need to get operations running again after disasters such as this.
Where will your money go? 100% of funds will go directly to the ZWF, and assist in the following areas:
- Provide new enclosures for our animals
- Repair enclosures that are repairable
- Provide veterinary care for our animals
- Provide feeding and special diets catered to each animals needs
- Provide operation support for our recovery staff of 26 people
- Provide fresh water
- Provide diesel fuel for the park generators
- Re-open our facility to the public
Thank you to everyone supporting this cause! If you have any questions, please reach out to [email protected]
Jeremy Cash and the Roaring Riot Podcast
Zoological Wildlife Foundation Website