There is currently only one active shelter for female victims of gender-based violence in Jamaica.
It is run by Woman Inc. - an NGO organized since 1984 - and it has provided an emergency safe haven for victims of gender based violence for nearly 30 years. The organisation recently had to close the shelter to undergo urgent renovation and refurbishment. But, due to generous donations, and courtesy of the U.S. Embassy in Kingston, through the United States Agency for International Development (USAID),the shelter has recently re-opened.
In a social climate infamous for the high numbers of women dying at the hands of domestic partners, Woman Inc continues its mission to strengthen the position of Jamaican women. With the re-opened shelter, Woman Inc. has now returned to its full compliment of services by providing:
- support and counselling to victims in emergency situations at the only Crisis Shelter in Jamaica;
- walk-in and telephone support and counselling through its Crisis Centre and 24-hour Emergency Hotline for victims of domestic violence and sexual assault, and their families;
- services to foreign nationals in Jamaica who are similarly victimised;
- educational outreach to primary and secondary schools, community groups, the police, church groups, and the general public;
- legal aid services for clients and political advocacy which includes lobbying for legislative and policy change.
But they are not done! The next majorgoal is to create facilities to provide clients with transitional housing as they work to regain their independence and hence minimise the pressure to return to an abusive situation. Such facilities will also help generate a steady income for Woman Inc.
To help achieve this goal Woman Inc is seeking financial support from the public. So far 10% of the target has been achieved through donations and pledges, but at this point Woman Inc still needs $120,000.The property for the first transition facility has already been identified. Now all they need is a little help from us.
Please give whatever you can because together we support the most vulnerable among us.
#BeBoldForChange and donate.
For more information on Woman Inc. visit the following links:
- Woman Inc. - Crisis Shelter Reopens
- Woman Inc. - to the Rescue for those who Suffer in Silence
- Woman Inc wants to end domestic violence
- Battered (church) Wives
- Woman Inc- Fighting for those who Suffer in Silence
You can also call the organisation at + 1(876) 929-9038. The Crisis Hotline is +1(876) 929-2997. The Hotline is strictly for crisis situations.