David and Goliath. We all remember the story.
This current battle begins with a small group of common people who believed that our bodies of government would protect our way of life and the land, air and water we need to live. It has become a David and Goliath fight against a system rigged toward money and power. The current system in Wisconsin rewards political donors with giveaways of our land, air and water to consume and profit from.
WE ARE DAVID, all of us who believe our natural resources and decisions regarding them should be made by the public, not a Giant.WE HAVE THE GIANT, in the entities of a well-connected billionaire, and a Governor who forces the Department of Natural Resources to approve destructive projects for his donors' profit.
Over five years ago, a small group of people sat around a dining room table speaking of their concerns about a proposed Kohler Company championship golf course on the shores of Lake Michigan adjacent to Kohler Andrae Park within the Town of Wilson. Descriptions of teeming wildlife, rolling dunes, wetlands overflowing with aquatic life, the migratory flyover route, the site of prehistoric peoples and thousands of artifacts and burial mounds, were just a few concerns. Kohler intended to clear cut 160 of their 247 acres of forest and needed acreage from our State Park to complete the course. If approved, our wells would be depleted, pesticides would leach into our groundwater and Lake Michigan, globally significant dunes and wetlands would be razed and filled, envrironmental corridors would be destroye, the topography of the area would be changed forever, currently polluted air would spike from tournament traffic, and state land not needed by Kohler would be given to the company for its profit. We also had to worry about the Kohler Company's record at Whistling Straits which consisted of violating every condition of their permit. We decided to make sure the impacts of this course were studied. We believed the Department of Natural Resources and the Natural Resources Board would not approve such devastation to this coastal ecosystem.
- We learned that the DNR was working for the Kohler Company with the Governor's office on board.
- We learned that the average person has no control over his or her quality of life, their land, air and water.
- We learned the Kohler Company was given environmental passes by the DNR that no homeowner would be allowed.
- Our quiet, rural town was physically divided by a secret, hostile annexation by Kohler to move their land to the City of Sheboygan to avoid an independent environmental impact study required by our Town of Wilson.·
- We learned the DNR wrote incomplete, misleading, unscientific environmental statements and was told to withhold information from us.
- We learned the DNR worked for 5 years trying to justify the destruction Kohler asked for, and when the agency couldn't, they circumvented the law and approved a wetland fill permit and land swap anyway.
- We learned that the voices of hundreds of people and petitions from 22,000 people have no impact in this corrupted system.
- We learned that Kohler Company was to get whatever it wanted without competent review.
NOW WE SAY "ENOUGH IS ENOUGH!"
FRIENDS OF THE BLACK RIVER FOREST HAS RECEIVED A GENEROUS GRANT TO BEGIN LITIGATION AGAINST THE DNR.
WE HAVE FILED A LEGAL CHALLENGE TO THE WETLAND PERMIT GRANTED KOHLER.
WE HAVE FILED A LEGAL CHALLENGE TO THE DNR'S INCOMPLETE FINAL ENVIRONMENTAL IMPACT STATEMENT.
JOIN THIS DAVID AND GOLIATH BATTLE
HELP US RAISE THE FUNDS TO SEE THIS BATTLE THROUGH TO VICTORY!!
What is more important than protecting our fundamental rights to breathe clean air, drink clean water and protect our homes and community?
Help us take a stand-No more corporate destruction at the expense of our rights, our resources or our health!
PLEASE DONATE NOW.
TOGETHER WE WILL MAKE A DIFFERENCE!
Please view our donation incentive gifts here: