One important lesson we learned from our comrades while in Houston is that you can never prepare too much, which is why we began our efforts today to aid those who will be affected by Hurricane Irma. We have assembled a grassroots coalition of groups that will offer DIRECT support to the communities particularly in Florida that will be affected by this storm. (We are continuously growing our coalition list. If your organization is doing frontline work, please email us: [email protected])
Our immediate plans include but are not limited to:
- establishing a shelter for one of the most vulnerable populations which the Polk County Sheriff has publicly stated will be immediately arrested if they attempt to seek shelter (will need to purchase cleaning supplies, bedding, toiletries and first aid)
- mapping the areas that will need immediate rescue and securing resources to do this as safely and effectively as possible
- setting up food distribution post storm for a minimum of three meals a day in five different locations for which we will need to purchase both food and food storage
Funds will also be used for fuel and other minimum expenses for the volunteers. We are committed to being completely transparent with how funds are spent and will post regular updates here. If there is ever ANY questions regarding this, please do not hesitate to email [email protected].
Please follow us on social media for immediate updates.
Facebook: The Yellowhammer Alternative
Person of Contact: Assata Dela Cruz
It has been all of experience that the most effective aid has come directly from individuals and grassroots organizations created FOR the people BY the people. We can NOT rely on corporations or the State to provide relief. As a community have chosen to come together to provide direct action and we need your help to financially make this happen.
Coalition of Organizations:
- The Yellowhammer Alternative
- Food Not Bombs: Mobile Bay
- World On My Shoulders
- Food Not Bombs: Tampa
- Food Not Bombs: Lake Worth