Posted on December 11, 2017
Dear friends and supporters,
It is a challenge to keep with the news at the Jane Stern Dorado Community Library. Your belief in us, expressed by your notes and gifts, support our strides.
All ages are pouring into the Library for internet access, electricity, water, and air conditioning. During blackouts we hook up to generators to keep classes and the wifi hotspot humming, thanks to fans and LED lights.
All of our classes are running:• Band • Theater • Math • Yoga • College Board classes • Lego Club
The recovery process is ongoing at the 6 satellite libraries located in elementary schools in remote Dorado, Vega Alta and Vega Baja neighborhoods. These schools are on a half day schedule because they are without electricity.
Under extraordinary circumstances, your donations make it possible for us to provide a community space where children and families can
• begin to recover from the trauma
• access government recovery services online
• receive supplies, academic support,structured activities, and a community space to work and play
New Initiatives in response to post Maria conditions:
In partnership with Save the Children, JSDCL sponsors
• extended hours of class time so that teachers can catch up on critical math and reading skills
• preparing 51 high school seniors for College Boards
In partnership with Rotary Club, JSDCL has
• sponsored Thanksgiving boxes of food and necessities
• organized Thanksgiving of 250 hot meals and $50 gift cards, thanks to the generous donation of Eleni Pantaridis
• Introduced Rotary to OPAS, a local environmental education nonprofit, to distribute community water filters
In partnership with individual donors JSDCL distributed:
• over 30 backpacks filled with personal supplies, solar lanterns and gifts for children who’s homes were destroyed
• headlamps and music stands for music students (see photo)
• a small library of books and toys, medical items, clothing and theatre performances to Dorado’s shelter for families displaced by Maria
Every contribution supports our mission to advance literacy, inspire lifelong learning and transform lives!
We thank you, with all of our hearts.