Save Bethune House! Save Our Shelter for Women Migrant Workers!
Why: Current finances of the Bethune House, a community-supported emergency shelter for women migrant domestic workers, can only support the shelter for four months this year
What: Crowdfunding event to encourage people to donate to save our shelter
Target: Raise HKD $ 1,000,000 (equal to 8 months expenses of the Bethune House)
(1) What is the Bethune House? Bethune House is a community-supported emergency shelter providing food, and other forms of assistance to enable migrant women in crisis to seek justice and achieve empowerment. At any given month, we are home to up to 30 women domestic workers.
(2) Why do we need to be crowdfunded?: Bethune House, with two shelters, needs to raise HK$120,000 each month for rent, food, utilities, and other needs of our residents, such as personal hygiene, medical requirements, visa extension fee, and transportation and documentation for the duration of their cases.Women domestic workers in our shelters are forbidden by law to have any form of employment and thus, have to totally rely on charity to keep them in Hong Kong while they wait for the resolution of their grievances.Recently, we lost one of our major funders; our financial situation is very dire. Current finances enable us to provide only the bare minimum for our residents until APRIL this year.
(3) What are we asking from you? Please donate to Save Bethune House and Save Our Shelter. Any amount that you can donate to our shelter will surely help:
- $130 will support 1 resident for a day
- $1,000 can support 1 client for a week
- $3,900 to support 1 client for a month
- $500 will feed residents in both shelters for a day