Hi my name is Terri and I have a very rare brain disease that was diagnosed on January 22, 2015. It's called Hashimoto's Encephalopathy (Autoimmune) with Progressive Cerebella Ataxia. Yes I know a mouthful. Basically my own antibodies are attacking my body. Currently I'm looking for approximately $2,500 for Medical Devices and Treatments.
- I have Vitiligo which is an autoimmune skin condition where the antibodies attack my pigment, so I have white spots.
- I have Autoimmune Thyroiditis, where my antibodies attacked my Thyroid.
- I have Autoimmune Pancreatitis where my antibodies have attacked approximately 1/2 of my pancreas and I have a very high probability of ending up with Type 1 Diabetes, yes you read that right, Type 1 and I'm 56 years old.
- My antibodies are also attacking the neurons in my Brain and in my Cerebellum. The Cerebella Ataxia means I lose all balance of my body. I fall a lot, I do mean a lot.
My last 2 falls were back to back. One on a Sunday down the stairs basically taking out my right leg. My physio therapist believes I've done some severe damage to my right knee, so I'm having an UltraSound next week. The following morning I fell in my shower/bathub. My husband had to pull me out onto the floor as he couldn't get me to stand up. I hit about a 4 inch strip right where my cerebellum is, I got a concussion, I couldn't stay awake for the life of me. In fact sitting in the ER waiting on my Cat Scan, I told my husband I thought this was my last day on this big blue ball we call Earth. I was so sure I was going to die, but I was calm and peaceful about it as well, probably because I couldn't stay awake. This stayed with me for a few days, but I also had a full blown mind swelling HE headache, wow, all I can say is I've never experienced pain like that before.
There are all kinds of symptoms to HE,
- I stutter when I meet new people.
- I can type words backwards without even knowing it.
- I say words backwards in sentences.
- I don't remember what happened 5 seconds ago.
- My short term memory is going fast.
- I've lost my basic math skills, I can no longer, add, subtract, multiply or divide.
- My medications can ruin my kidneys
- I'm just falling apart one day at a time.
So lets get down to the nitty gritty...I need money, I'm totally out of money.
- The CCAC here in Canada says I need a walker, I found out it will be approximately $700 plus 13% tax.
- I'm in physiotherapy for my knee which is $65 a treatment...twice a week.
- I also need massage, did I tell you my muscles never stop moving, so I cramp a lot and my muscles are hard as rocks. Well massage is $90 an hour.
- I also need musicians earplugs so I can go into busy grocery stores. Right now if I hear a lot of noise or certain frequencies, I want to pass out.
I've already receive $300 from a dear friend which will go towards my walker. Right now I'm starting small, my walker, my physio and my massage and ear plugs. Oh the CCAC also said I need walk in showers in both bathrooms, these are really expensive, but we will wait to get to that. I will put a video up later so you can see me, to see who you are donating to and to tell you all the symptoms I have...my husband has a lot of them written down for me, because I don't remember them all until one happens. Oh yes, I have seizures too. See I just remembered one. I hope you can find it in your hearts to help me out. I've never asked anyone for money before, so this is all new to me. But it's what I need to do to survive as I can no longer work.
Thanks for listening to me.