Bring Shaun To The USA for the “Olympics of Performing Arts”
I qualified for WCOPA Team Philippines after auditioning with my skill in Acting. We were screened by the National Director for WCOPA 2017 TEAM Philippines himself. WCOPA (World Championships of Performing Arts) is dubbed as the “Olympics of Performing Arts” and it is going to be held in Long Beach, California in June-July 2017.
I am finding it hard to let go of this opportunity because I really want it. And, I'm going to be the first actress to come from my Cagayan de Oro City and to join this worldwide competition.
My name is Shaun Pilapil, short for Ma Lourdes Asuncion Pilapil. I am an artist who does theater, advocacy projects, and shows in the Philippines.
I was 11-12 years old when I first tried Theatre Arts during a summer workshop. Since then, I loved portraying characters.
It made me happy to be on stage entertaining and telling stories of other people so I practiced further:
- I practiced theater acting and design under the Xavier University - Ateneo de Cagayan theater group, Dulaang Atenista. It was there when I started to get really serious about theater.
- In 2014, I flew to Bacolod City, where I enrolled myself in a month-long intensive Acting workshop and Makeup Workshop for Theatre and Film in Bacollywood.
- I flew back home in Cagayan de Oro more fuelled and energized that I started sharing what I learned with my old and new friends in the theater community.
- In 2015, I flew to Quezon City, Manila with the Xavier University Dulaang Atenista Improv Group "No Prob, It's Improv", for the Manila Improv Festival.
And, sometimes I speak for those who can't tell their own stories thru monologues based on real stories:
- 2013, 2015, 2016 - VDAY Monologues to prevent Violence Against Women and Children
- In 2015, I also flew to Davao City also and volunteered to be in the translated version of the project written by Eve Ensler, The Vagina Monologues visayan version. This was in partnership with the women rights organization, Gabriela.
- 2015, 2016 Campaign for HIV Awareness in Cagayan de Oro with LIMA Productions and Oro Teatro Bulawanon.
I try to grab every opportunity I can get in theater. I lend my hand in causes that are important to today's young generation.
I was in between two productions when I saw the poster for the first round of WCOPA Cagayan de Oro Auditions. I felt magnetized and so I audition even if I didn't plan to.
I got in TEAM PHILIPPINES!
I am not giving up on my dream. Can you help me fly to join WCOPA 2017?
I will accept all kinds of help.