City Plaza is a refugee accommodation and solidarity space in the heart of Athens, Greece.
Following the closure of the borders when the EU trapped almost 65,000 refugees in Greece, the Greek government created more than 49 detention centres and camps. City Plaza offers a safe and dignified alternative to these places where the conditions are wretched, unclean and inhumane.
On the 22nd of April 2016 refugees, volunteers and solidarity activists occupied City Plaza Hotel which had been closed for 8 years.
126 rooms on 7 floors. A reception, bar, dining room, kitchen, storage, play ground, health care centre, roof terrace, classroom and library.
City Plaza is supported exclusively through political solidarity and individual donations.
400 people live together at City Plaza.
The numbers: More than 100 families 165 children, 100 men, 115 women, 35 locals, activists and volunteers.
Refugees from Syria, Afghanistan, Kurdistan, Iran, Iraq, Palestine & Pakistan
Self-organisation is at the heart of City Plaza.
The philosophy: We live together. We work together. We struggle together.
The foundations of the day to day running of City Plaza lie in solidarity and collective participation. Refugees, locals, activists and volunteers work together in this way.
Your donation will go towards the essential working groups of City Plaza
- 3 meals a day for all, that’s 1,200 meals a day
Health Care Centre
- Daily appointments with doctors and nurses & coordination with public hospitals, working to resolve refugee-specific health care services
Storage space and distribution of supplies for basic needs
- Everyday the people of City Plaza are given supplies to provide for basic needs (toiletries, washing powder, supplies for babies etc) but supplies are currently low.
Maintenance of the building
- A team of volunteers working for maintenance. City Plaza has not yet had enough funding to provide heating for the building.
- Greek for children, English for adults and children, German for adults and children
YOU CAN HELP
However small or big your donation, every little will help. Everyone at City Plaza thanks you for your kindness and support in helping us to continue to live and work together in our home, to continue to live here in peace, togetherness and solidarity.
This campaign is organised by international volunteers who have spent the last months at City Plaza.