Not so happy update: Finley did not have a liver shunt after all. Once they started the surgery, they realized she is missing her portal vein -a congenital disorder. Their prognosis is a 1-3 year life on therapeutic food and meds. I have chosen to keep her alive and make her life the best it can be regardless of the length. She deserves it. I have already started to research the top veterinary hospitals in the country to have her surgeon consult with others to find out if there is a treatment she is not aware of. Finley is recovering and in the hospital until tomorrow if all goes ok. Thank you to my friends and family for our continued love. Her incision is healing well! We are down to 3 medications, 1 supplement, therapeutic food, and vanilla activia yogurt! Eventually she will be down to 1 med, food, yogurt, and the liver supplement. It's all worth making her life the best it can be! She seems very happy and playful. Acting like a puppy for the first time in her 5 months. It's very encouraging that she will be around for awhile :o)
Thank you ALL so much! I can't begin to describe how grateful I am. You have all been more than generous. It means so much to know that there are this many people in my life (and Fin's) who care.
Finley is scheduled to have surgery next Wednesday, April 17th. The surgeons wanted to wait a little while because some pebble sized objects have formed in her gallbladder from the toxins that built up in her body while her liver has not been functioning well. We hope that the antibiotics will clear this up, or they will have to remove her gallbladder during the surgery. As of now, she is on 3 medications (antibiotics, one to keep her sugar up, and on to keep ammonia levels down) as well as prescription food for her liver. Today or tomorrow, we will add a medicine that will help to prevent seizures after the surgery. There is a 15% chance of seizure, but this medicine has proven to be 100% successful since it started being used 2 years ago. I actually found that medicine on my own, by chance, by calling the UNC veterinary hospital in Raleigh. In the meantime, Finley is stable and acts a bit more like a puppy should on these meds. I can only imagine how much better she will feel when all of this is over. <3
I will post more as we go. Thanks you all again!! xoxo
Em & Fin