Posted on May 1, 2014
WOW - we did it, plus a little more (which is always handy for covering anscillary costs - like the crate I am building)!!
I cannot thank you all enough, now I am in the packing and shipping phase.
I have the machine prepped:
- The basket is automatically locked down on this electric when the power is off,
- The basket is packed tight with poly bags and packing bubble sheeting,
- The carriage release levers on both ends of the carriage are tie-wrapped into the disengaged position,
- The carriage is tie-wrapped in place on both ends and in the middle,
- The power cord is secured with a velcro cord keeper, and plastic "shrink wrapped" to the body of the machine,
- The body of the machine is "shrink wrapped" with heavy duty cardboard L brackets locked in place on the top-rear of the carriage, and on the front/top of the leading edge/keyboard,
- The carriage ends/knobs, are encased with cardboard egg crate, secured with "shrink wrap,"
- The keyboard is covered with a sheet of foam and that is secured in place with "shrink wrap"
All-in-all, the machine is ready to be placed into the shipping crate.
The crate will consist of a heavy duty cardboard outer box, with plywood bottom and top (clamshell style), with 1x2" (nominal) supports, and heavy duty cardboard L reinforcements for the sides.
The top and bottom will be integrated together with the 1x2" wooden supports and decking screws.
The bottom will have a pair of 1x2" wooden cleats that the machine will sit upon, and 2 runs of 2" nylon webbing will secure the machine to the cleats.
There will be heavy duty cardboard tubes used to provide side-to-side crush resistance, to ensure that the carriage is protected from side-impacts.
The rest of the space will be suitably filled with foam packing material in bags.
This capsule will be shipped via discountshipping.us - they have promised 4 day, air, door-to-door delivery in Australia. My estimated shipping date is Monday, May 1. I will update if that changes.
Thanks again to all!!