Where do you turn to for help when your loved one receives a diagnosis of mental illness? Who could ever understand how difficult it is to live with a mental illness? We Can!! But we rely on donors like you to help us to continue our work. With your help, we can continue to offer free mental health education to those whose lives are affected by brain disorders.
NAMI Waco offers mental health education, support and advocacy to our community. We do this by offering our free signature programs, support groups and advocacy for better mental health care.
NAMI Waco is dedicated to improving the quality of life, supporting recovery and raising awareness by eradicating the misconceptions of those affected by mental illness.NAMI Family-to-Family
We go into junior & high schools and educate the students about the warning signs of mental illness and suicide prevention. We teach faith communities how they can help those in their congregations who are struggling with mental health conditions. We take part in an annual Law Enforcement mental health training because we recognize that the three hours of mental health training received in the academy is not enough for these first responders. These are just a few examples of how we help our community understand mental illness and reduce the stigma.
Here is some information about two of our free signature programs:
NAMI Family-to-Family is a free, 12-session educational program for family, significant others and friends of people living with mental illness. It is a designated evidenced-based program. Research shows that the program significantly improves the coping and problem-solving abilities of the people closest to an individual living with a mental health condition.
not only provides critical information and strategies for taking care of the person you love, but you'll also find out that you're not alone. Recovery is a journey, and there is hope.
The group setting of NAMI Family-to-Family provides mutual support and shared positive impact—you can experience compassion and reinforcement from people who understand your situation. You can also help others through your own experience. In the program, you'll learn about:
- How to manage crises, solve problems and communicate effectively
- Taking care of yourself and managing your stress
- Developing the confidence and stamina to provide support with compassion
- Finding and using local supports and services
- Up-to-date information on mental health conditions and how they affect the brain
- Current treatments, including evidence-based therapies, medications and side effects
- The impact of mental illness on the entire family
NAMI Peer-to-Peer is a free, 10-session educational program for adults with mental illness who are looking to better understand their condition and journey toward recovery.
This in-person group experience provides the opportunity for mutual support and positive impact. You can experience compassion and reinforcement from people who relate to your experiences. Through your participation, you have the opportunity to help others grow. This is a confidential place to learn from shared experiences in an environment of sincere, uncritical acceptance. Recovery is a journey, and there is hope for all people living with mental illness.
NAMI Peer-to-Peer helps you:
- Create a personalized relapse prevention plan
- Learn how to interact with health care providers
- Develop confidence for making decisions and reducing stress
- Stay up-to-date on mental health research
- Understand the impact of symptoms on your life
- Access practical resources on how to maintain your journey toward recovery