The Fieldhouse was built in 1937 and is named after former Jeffersonville Park’s Director Charles Nachand. It was the longtime home to the Jeffersonville Red Devils basketball teams and hosted the area’s sectional basketball games until 1971. Now, it serves as a community center, where recreation and youth leagues play. Today, the Fieldhouse’s walls hold Hoosier basketball memories dating back to the 1930s, including jerseys from past players, old newspaper clippings about the times Jeff High was suspended after illegal recruiting, and photos of Jeffersonville High basketball teams – with legendary players such as Cotton Nash and Mike Flynn – gracing its walls.
Despite the previous investment into the Fieldhouse by the City of Jeffersonville, there is still significant work to be done in order to utilize the space at its full capacity. Some of those improvements include a new HVAC system, updated electrical infrastructure, and exterior masonry reinforcement.
With increased utilization of the Nachland Fieldhouse, the Jeffersonville Parks Authority has named the Fieldhouse a top priority. In an effort to reduce the financial burden to the taxpayers, the Authority found it proper to seek the financial support of several community philanthropists to most effectively cover the cost of the remaining renovations to bring the building up to code and make it more readily available to the community and our neighbors.