Jay Lake, science fiction author extraordinaire is dying. He's been frank and blunt in blogging his battle with cancer (here's a recont one: http://www.jlake.com/2013/01/22/cancer-surgery-today-2/).
Waterloo Productions is presenting a documentary at film festivals (that video above) chronicling Jay's struggle with the realization that his life has close, discernible limits.
A previous fundraiser (http://www.youcaring.com/medical-fundraiser/sequence-a-science-fiction-writer/38705) paid for sequencing his DNA which, while it turns out can't help Jay, will help scientists down the line to find better therapies for colon cancer.
As a last ditch effort, Jay has managed to get into an NIH trial. He's a guinea pig for untested new technologies in immunotherapy that might extend his life with his friends, his loves and his daughter, who has yet to graduate high school. And will certainly help doctors bring better, more effective cancer therapies to the public.
This isn't cheap. The NIH doesn't begin to cover all expenses, and insurance companies don't cover trials. Flights, hotels, support people costs... it adds up, and Jay's coming up short. He needs $15,000 in short order, and is turning to his friends and those willing the help him help science. Won't you join us?
Original Thank You Gifts (from Update #1):
- Kevin J. Anderson has his book, Clockwork Angels, signed by himself and Neil Peart (drummer of Rush). Want it? Great, it's yours for the first donation of $175!
- The folks at Prime Books, The Clarksworld, and Beneath Ceaseless Skies have awesome thank-you gifts:
- For $200: The Clarkesworld E-Packet: Issues 17-88 and the first five Clarkesworld anthologies in EPUB/MOBI.
- $250 gets you a BIG pile of Prime ebooks: 40 different titles in EPUB/MOBI, including books by Rudy Rucker, Elizabeth Bear, Yoon Ha Lee and more.
- Can you spare $500? Give, and get the complete Prime ebooks collection: All 88 books Prime has published in EPUB/MOBI formats. See list here: http://www.prime-books.com/prime-books-catalog/
- Can't donate that much? Have no fear! 10 donors chosen at random after the close of the fundraiser will receive one-year digital subscriptions to Apex, Clarkesworld, The Dark, Lady Churchill's Rose Wristlet, Lightspeed, and Nightmare.
Don't forget to visit Prime Books at www.prime-books.com, Clarkesworld Magazine awaits you at www.clarkesworldmagazine.com. Beneath Ceaseless Skies can be found at www.beneath-ceaseless-skies.com.
There will be some prizes, and stretch goals, but the bottom line is we need to keep Jay in the trials.
But it's about not the prizes, folks: it's about easing Jay's unreal world issues, during a strenuous trial.
First of all, a thanks to one writer who's offered a floor of their house to Jay for his NIH stays. However that works, it's loving thoughts like these that count!
Here are some additional gifts for you incredible donors. If you donated until this point, YOU'RE IN.
From Jay: "Twelve donors at all levels will be randomly selected to receive
autographed copies of Jay's privately printed juvenalia, THE JANUARY
MACHINE. This is the first novel he ever wrote, well before the
beginning of his writing career, and there are only twenty-four copies
of it in the world."
SF in SF (www.sfinsf.org) is randomly gifting five grab bags of 10 titles from various arcs and stand-alone novels to folks donating $100 or more. (Delivery to US donors only due to postage issues.)