- At twenty years old, Christina has struggled with debilitating symptoms for five years. Previous to that were other health problems but we were not aware of how they were connected. After going to multiple doctors and undergoing many tests with futile results, she was diagnosed and treated for Lyme disease. While this initially gave her tremendous help and probably saved her life at the time, it became apparent that her situation was even more complex. After many ups and downs Christina's health worsened and she became essentially bed-ridden.
- At Sponaugle Wellness Center Christina began receiving intensive treatment after thorough testing and a much more complete diagnosis that explained why she could not get well with any of her previous medical treatment. She has made tremendous progress since treatment began and after five weeks was able to travel back home to Alabama for a time.
- We are so thankful and amazed by God's provision and leading us to the Sponaugle clinic and the enormous outpouring of love, care, and generosity he has shown enabling Christina to take advantage of this life-saving treatment. The financial cost is huge, yet God continues to provide. We plan to return to Florida in January for further treatment. All of you who have prayed or donated or encouraged have been part of this ongoing miracle!
MORE BACKGROUND DETAILS:
- Over the course of time Christina went from about 130 to close to 60lbs. Her body rejected attempts to maintain or gain weight. Her gastroentestinal ("gut") issues were severe throughout. Yet GI doctors offered no help after multiple tests. She would only plateau for a while with partial relief before more flare-ups.
- Other problems accrued, such as diminished mental focus, balance issues, and severe joint pain. Weird rashes and sensations, chronic tinnitus and TMJ pain plagued her as well as many, many other symptoms. It was baffling to say the least. It was heartbreaking to see her having to deal with all of the pain and suffering and not be able to provide real and lasting help, or even explain why it was all happening. The scariest was the episodes with her heart and labored breathing. Staying hydrated was often difficult with severe swallowing and/vomiting problems at times. Doctors failed to diagnose her problems and even misdiagnosed them, causing more suffering and delay in getting her the help she has needed.
- The diagnosis of Lyme disease explained many of her bizzare symptoms. At that point Christina's severe pain, sensory overload and migraines had her sometimes in a fetal position requiring low light and quiet; she was reactive to the slightest touch. Several previous doctors had been unable to explain or control her involuntary vomiting with every meal/snack/drink. And while we focused on getting her vomiting controlled enough to let her keep down food, Christina's body seemed to be falling part every which way.
- We learned that many of her symptoms were common or frequent with people with Lyme disease when not diagnosed and/or properly treated early on. Christina's prolonged treatment for Lyme disease helped initially, but it became apparent that that was not the complete answer for her.
- The Lyme disease damaged Christina's cartilage in her knees giving her "Lyme arthritis". She continuosly modified her diet to enable her to eat some all along. She became unable to continue antibiotics, but had improved substantially in some ways. She seemed to have hit a ceiling, unable to progress further, but managing somewhat.
- After homeschool graduation Christina successfully started college coursework through independant study, hopeful for the future. After one semester she had begun to get worse and withdrew.
- Christina's health declined further and faster. She could not get up or down without assistance -- essentially bedridden. After many prayers we decided to take her to a medical clinic in Florida for intensive treatment if they would take her. After several preliminary tests Christina arrived at the Sponaugle Wellness clinic in a wheelchair on September 30.
- Christina's current medical team has provided a more complete diagnosis and appropriate intensive treatment plan which has already had remarkable results!
- We now understand that Christina has been unable to heal from the Lyme disease in part because of a genetic disorderplus additional infections along with the Lyme, and very importantly, an even more dangerous condition -- black mold toxicosis/mold poisoning. Early stage liver failure was also detected. And Christina was in a state akin to menopause at nineteen as all her hormone levels were extremely low. Brain chemicals were also greatly imbalanced.
- The genetic disorder has allowed a very high level of mold toxins to build up in her body and brain throughout her life. These particular toxins shut down Christina's immune system so that she cannot clear out infections including the Lyme or the Bartonella or the newly discovered infection with protomyzoa rheumatica (an opportunistic parasite which is difficult to eradicate).
Christina lives with pain each day, yet she manages to get through and accomplish beautiful artwork. When she was no longer able to ride her horses she poured her energies into art and photography. Photography became more and more limited as Christina became less able to get around with little energy. Accomplishing high school would have been impossible without homeschooling and although she began college courses very successfully, she became too sick and withdrew.
We thank God that now Christina's complex health needs are being unravelled and treated with an intensive, integrative treatment plan at Sponaugle Wellness Clinic in Florida. Each weekday includes IV infusions at the clinic and close supervision.
HOW YOU CAN HELP:
If everyone who sees this and is able donates just a dollar or two, it will add up and help so much!
Post a link to this page on Facebook, Tumblr, Twitter, anywhere. Even if you can't donate, you can share this with people who can.
We appreciate all the people who pray for healing for Christina and comfort and support for her and the rest of the family.
Christina has been sick a long time and even some previous treatments have done damage. There is a lot of repairing to be done. We believe God has led us here and are confident he is doing a great work in Christina's life! We are very grateful for your prayers, encouragement and any financial support!