Posted on May 4, 2013
It’s been a while, and it’s time for a rather large update, so bear with me! Let me first thank everyone again who has donated and written their sentiments to the White family. As of now I’m looking at 950 supporters and over $75,000 donated which exceeds anything we could have imagined. So a heartfelt, “Thank YOU!” to all of you!
1) Bill has been reported to have made great physical strides in his recovery, to the point where he may be discharged back home within the next two weeks! If all goes as planned, he should be at home for four to five weeks while his prosthetic leg is being fabricated. This period at home will be very challenging as you can imagine, and there will be part time physical and occupational therapy involved. After the prosthesis is completed, Bill will return to rehab for a week to learn how to use the new leg and continue to build his strength, then return home. That’s the plan for now, and could definitely be subject to change. The prognosis is good, and Bill has shown remarkable physical and mental strength during this recovery process.
2) Kevin had a follow up interview on CNN – you can watch it here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=53V3n8PFXJA I would also like to add that Kevin has been doing an incredible and exhausting job taking care of his folks and arranging for services, as well as working with the media and other donor organizations. In talking and coordinating with him, his energy and dedication are inspirational. Thank you, Kevin!
3) I received word that the Greg Hill Foundation made a direct donation to the White family this week. I remember that it was maybe a day after we set up this fundraising website when the Greg Hill Foundation got in touch with me. They were the first foundation to extend an additional hand, and I do want to give them some special recognition – thank you!
4) For those of you in the San Francisco area – TONIGHT: Fellow LA classmate Teague Kernan (’92) is joining with 11 other bars and restaurants in holding a “Boston Marathon Bombing Fundraiser” at his own restaurant, Tupelo! So if you’re in the area, come on down to 1337 Grant Street tonight. The event will run from 9PM - 1:30AM and they are asking for donations at the door: $5 for 1 raffle ticket, $10 for 3 tickets. Teague’s band, Shantytown, will be playing all night, and there will be great drink specials and prizes! More info on Tupelo here: http://tupelosf.com/
5) There will be a “Bolton 5k Rally For Boston” on Saturday, June 1, 2013 from 3:30 PM to 5:30 PM in Bolton, MA. Part of the proceeds will be donated directly to the White family! I have uploaded their flyer to the ‘Gallery’ section, and please visit their website here for further details: http://theboltonrallyforboston.eventbrite.com/
6) And finally, I’d like to have one last big push for the fundraiser this weekend. With 13 days left, I would like to ask everyone to re-post the link to the fundraiser on their social media sites of choice, and re-spread the word. It still amazes me that we achieved the former goals we set, and I know we can achieve this final goal before the end of the fundraiser. Thank you again to everyone for your donations and commitment to this cause!