Posted on August 17, 2017
This is the hardest update we've had to write. However, it is bittersweet.
In June, we found out that Baby A's mother was pregnant again. We agreed to take the second baby if she wanted to place him for adoption. In the meantime, Baby A's mother wasn't ready to place Baby A, so we were put on hold for about 7 months ... or so we thought. In the meantime, we knew we needed to look more carefully into the US citizenship laws. Stateless adoption is not a well-chartered endeavor, and we discovered several complications regarding our situation with Baby A.
The week that Matt was in the US and Helen was caring for the twins (you can read about their story here
), the birth mother texted Helen that she had miscarried her baby boy. This was very difficult for us as we felt that we also lost a baby we were expecting.
With the miscarriage, Baby A's mother was able to make her original appointment with the embassy on August 7th. This meant we needed to figure out if an adoption service provider would take our case and help us work through the complexities to get citizenship for Baby A. We were given 48 hours to make a decision. Matt was traveling back from the US, so Helen started contacting adoption lawyers and adoption service providers. All of them agreed, because of the complications of the situation, application for Baby A's citizenship would be denied. We decided that if another family with different citizenship was willing to adopt Baby A, that would be better for her. It broke our hearts to say that we couldn't take her, but we know our only assurance of being able to truly help these children is if we help them with a clear conscience before God. Because we couldn't do that, we prayed that He would provide another family for Baby A.
Praise God, He answered prayer and another Christian family with different citizenship has already taken her into their home.
Just so that we are as transparent as possible, we wanted to explain how we used the funds that all of you were able to help us raise (for which we are so thankful).
- $5100 for the visas to stay in Malaysia
- $450 for medical and supplies
- $480 fees (YouCaring)
- $790 unspent (which was used towards twins' medical fees)
Despite the heartache, we are thankful that God brought Baby A into our lives. She was a blessing to us while we had her. Caring for Baby A strengthened our desire to stay here and care for the stateless children of Malaysia. We pray that God will continue to open doors for us to do that in a better capacity.