Mayas teaching Mayas the Ancient Hieroglyphic Script.
For hundreds of years, Maya people have been denied access to their own rich history. Following the invasion of Europeans, the Maya were forbidden to read and write in their own ancestral script, and knowledge of this incredibly complex and beautiful writing system was largely lost to time.
In the past few decades, archaeologists and epigraphers have made significant progress in the decipherment of the Maya script, while Maya people themselves have had little access to this extensive, rediscovered knowledge. In educational systems that mostly value European history, Maya children typically learn little about their own history and the achievements of their ancestors.
Momentum is Building! See below...
Our mission at MAM (www.discovermam.org) is to take the hieroglyphs and calendar out of the academic institutions of North America and Europe and bring them to the living Maya. Beginning with a handful of glyph workshops in the 1990s to dozens in the 2000s, we have funded 85 workshops in three countries (Mexico, Belize, and Guatemala) in the past three years. This year we are sponsoring the Fourth International Congreso on Ancient Maya Writing, or Ojer Maya' Tz'iib', to be held in Huehuetenango, Guatemala, July 2-6, 2018. At this historic event, 100 indigenous Maya scholars and teachers will gather to teach, learn, and share with one another their knowledge about the Maya Hieroglyphic Script and the Maya Calendar.
Our goal is $30,000 ($300 per attendee), which pays for travel, meals, and lodging for four nights. Every cent will be spent on the Congreso, no overhead, nothing goes to MAM. MAM is a 501(c)(3) non-profit; each donation made in the US is tax deductible.
* We had previously posted that we are offering the unique opportunities to participate in this year's Congreso and a Maya Exploration Center trip to Copán and Quirigua, but due to the Terms of Service on YouCaring and WePay, we are no longer permitted to offer travel incentives through this website. Thank you for your understanding. For further information about this, and higher donation levels, please contact us directly at: [email protected]
We appreciate any and all donations! As our way of saying thanks, we offer a number of unique gifts and travel opportunities.
**Please be aware that, upon checkout, YouCaring will automatically generate a 15% "tip" to fund their site. This is entirely optional, and to opt out of this, you can select "other" in the drop-down menu, and type in "0" for the amount. Otherwise, you will automatically pay the additional 15%, which goes towards YouCaring, and does not go towards funding the Congreso.
- A 4 x 6 color photo of the Congreso, signed by MAM president Michael Grofe, with a thank you note.
- Exclusive white-on-black-T-shirt of Linda Schele’s drawing of the Palenque Foliated Cross, with the MAM logo on the back. (Please specify Medium or Large).
- A copy of one of the following (supplies are limited, please specify your preference):
- The Inscriptions from Temple XIX at Palenque, David Stuart.
- A Forest of Kings (hardcover), Linda Schele and David Freidel.
- The Code of Kings (hardcover), Linda Schele and Peter Mathews.
- Maya Cosmos (hardcover) David Freidel, Linda Schele, and Joy Parker.
- Blood of Kings (paperback), Linda Schele and Mary Miller.
Please join us, and consider a donation to our worthy cause.
Thank you very much for your support!
Michael J. Grofe, President