Words Matter: People are not “illegal” and hence “No Human Being Is Illegal”. We present this tag line to change the narrative through words and facts. We are here to support, love, and serve our community. La Casa de Amistad offers hope, education, acculturation and collaboration to our community immigrants.
- Immigrants are here seeking a better life for themselves and their families. Their presence enriches our lives and continues the rich tradition of our immigrant nation.
- Many current undocumented individuals entered this country with a visa and had a green card. There are many circumstances that contribute to compromising an immigrant’s status. Unlawful presence is a civil offense. Civil offenses don’t make you a criminal.
- Undocumented immigrants are not eligible for federal and state benefits. Many studies show that even eligible Latino citizens and resident families tend to not use these benefits.
- Immigration is not at a high point. Since the recession in 2008, immigration has slowed; presently, the net migration between US/Mexico is actually negative.
- Undocumented immigrants pay sales taxes, property taxes and purchase items here.
- The Social Security Administration estimates that in 2013 alone, undocumented immigrants and their employers paid $13 billion in payroll taxes for benefits that were not claimed.
Please engage in our campaign to change the conversation with a “No Human Being is Illegal” sticker, button or sign. Swing by our office to get items so you can display your support for the campaign. Together, with knowledge and understanding, we can create positive momentum regarding immigrants.
Join our campaign, sign up to volunteer, contribute to the cost of stickers, buttons, and signs, or send a supportive message on our Facebook page. For links to additional information check out our website: http://www.lacasadeamistad.org/2017/02/no-human-being-is-illegal/
We have stickers (2.5 inch and 4 inch), yard signs, and buttons (2.25 inch) available to show your support of the campaign. Please donate to help us cover the cost of the campaign, extra money will go towards our immigration related programs. We are selling yard signs for $15 each. If you want one, donate, and then send us a message about what item you want. We did our first round of shirts... nearly 100! If you want shirts, we need to get to 40 people wanting a shirt before we do an order. So if you have a group or something let us know.
We are thinking about ordering shirts, let us know what swag you need to support this campaign.
Let our community know you care. Remember, “No Human Being Is Illegal”.