Hi, my name is Mel. My husband and I are from USA & Philippines currently living in Japan. We are traveling to Lebanon (a country surrounding Syria) this July to work directly with refugees that have fled from Syria and that have been turned away from the USA Syrian refugee ban. We are partnering with Off Track Health Refugee Alliance and Salam LADC for our trip. Check them out!
WHAT ARE WE DOING?
- In Lebanon, we will be teaching dance classes to refugees to help get their minds off the traumatic experiences they have been enduring.
- If we can raise enough funds, we will be purchasing a vehicle for the medical team in Lebanon to transport more people to the medical facilities to receive aid. This is a gift that would keep on giving after we leave.
- Now & moving forward, we are actively spreading awareness of the needs of the Syrian people. We are continuously protesting and advocating on the behalf of Syrian refugees and their rights in the USA and around the globe.
- We are gathering our artistic community together in Seattle, WA to raise funds and share a message of support through the arts.
- We will serve where the need is.
**We are using our personal funds to cover our flights, transportation, accommodation, & food during our stay. All donations will go directly to the refugee crisis.
We need you. These people need you. Please continue reading for more information.
WHY GET INVOLVED?
You’ve heard about the Syrian Refugee Crisis. You’ve scrolled past the pictures and videos streaming through social media. You’ve heard the headlines on the news or caught the tail end of a conversation on the radio in your car about the horror and urgent needs of these people. Yet even with this insight, we continue on with our day. We avert our eyes to see something happier, we shut off the noise to hear something sweeter, and we stop ourselves from being too affected. Why? Because stopping to process the reality of this disaster is just too much to bear. For some, maybe we DO care now that the new refugee ban is happening in our very own country, but we just simply don’t have the time or resources to invest.
The thing is, we NEED to do something. We NEED to MAKE time and we NEED to be willing to educate ourselves and allow ourselves to FEEL something. These people don't have the choice to take a day off from this nightmare. We can continue to chase our dreams and better ourselves for the future, but what good are we if we cannot take time to help people that need us so desperately right at this moment? You can do better… I can do better. WE can do better.
As you are reading this, the lives of refugees are falling apart. In Lebanon, children are alone searching for a familiar face, families are scrapping for a bite to eat, and adults are witnessing their children die because they cannot make it to a medical facility to get treatment in time. In addition, Syrians who made a new life in the USA are now forced to relocate AGAIN. They are losing everything they have fled for, fought for, and suffered for all due to the ban. Because they are being sent back to the Middle East but do not want to go back to Syria, they too are residing in surrounding countries including Lebanon. Most do not get to go to school or work, play or rest, or plan further than one day at a time.
WHAT ARE THE NEEDS?
After doing some research, meeting with the team leader of Off Track Health as well as their people currently on the ground in Lebanon, they have stated the top two needs in the area they are working in that is overpopulated with Syrian refugees.
Majority of the people fleeing to Lebanon have no resources. Due to conflict, they are critically injured, sick, and dying by the second and the medical volunteers are short staffed without enough transportation to get people aid. The teams on the ground have requested more vehicles in order to save more people. Providing a vehicle would not only help SAVE LIVES but be of help for many other transportation needs for refugees to get food, water, clothes, shelter, psychological help, and to connect with their families.
If you have a medical background, please consider joining us on the ground even for a short period of time. If you know someone that may be interested, please share this with them. The need is too great for words.
GOAL: $7,000 minimum for a large medical vehicle (donate directly to this page to help us meet this specific goal)
If we exceed our goal for the vehicle, the additional donations will go towards providing food.
HOW YOU CAN HELP
- Donate. Donate. Donate. As hard as it is to ask for money, we are talking about SAVING LIVES here. Both medical aid and food supply cost money. It is the fastest and easiest way to help.
- Share this link to friends, family, neighbors, churches, communities via all social media platforms. SPREAD THE WORD and let people know that they CAN do something practical to help.
- Continue to follow our updates and be on the lookout for additional fundraiser events in SEATTLE, WA. Attend or participate if you can! All of the donations will go directly to the medical vehicle.
- RESIST. There is POWER in numbers. VOICE your stance. STAND UP for these people who cannot for themselves. Continue to be ACTIVE and INFORMED. REFUSE to be numb to the inhumane actions against these people. SHOW your SUPPORT.
We can do this, but we can't do it alone. Please join us! We appreciate your time, efforts, and your hearts.
**the photos are not mine, borrowed from Google