We have an opportunity to turn the space formerly known as Fat Yoga into the Fat Self Center, a nonprofit community space where marginalized bodies will be centered and celebrated.
Our all-volunteer board is working hard to make a place where fat people, queer people, people of color and people with disabilities can come together for movement, support, education, organizing and shelter.
We are asking for $6,150 or what it would cost to keep the doors open for three months while we develop an income stream that will sustain the Fat Self Center in the future.
Our plans for income include:
- Ongoing memberships (for different income levels plus scholarships)
- Rent for movement classes
- Ticketed educational events (with scholarships of course)
- Rent as a community space (we already have 1 booking!)
- A storefront catered to fat people, queer people, people of color, and disabled people
- Finalizing our 501(c)6 nonprofit status to apply for grants and other funding
We have a fully staffed board ready to take on the management of a community center. We have decades and decades of board service experience between us, many of us are also non-profit industry professionals. We are fat, many of us are queer, several of us are people of color. We all share multiple intersections of marginalization. We are 100% committed to radical anti-oppression and dismantling patriarchy, white supremacy, cissexism, heterosexism and ablism through our work at the center and in our daily lives.