Dylan Escobar's Rehabilitation Effort

For: Dylan Escobar
Forest Knolls, CA
Organizer: Liz Escobar & Charlie Wirtz & Christopher Sabec
Dylan Escobar's Rehabilitation Effort (Dylan Escobar)
of $4,000 goal
100% Complete
Raised by 116 donors

The Story

This fundraiser is to help cover the rehabilitation and recovery expenses for Dylan Escobar. The sponsors are his aunt, Liz Escobar, his grandfather, Charlie Wirtz, and his foster dad, Christopher Sabec. Dylan will receive 100% of the money to defray any uncovered medical expenses as described below.

Dylan was hit by a bus in Buenos Aires, Argentina in the early morning hours of January 24, 2018 apparently due to driver error. The poor kid never saw it coming. Dylan suffered severe injuries, including a broken right femur, a fractured pelvis, and a severely lacerated left knee, shin, and ankle. As bad as it all sounds, we know that it could have been much, much worse. For that tender mercy, we are grateful.

Dylan had emergency surgery to repair the damage on Friday morning, which included inserting a rod into his femur. We are not sure if the rod is temporary or permanent at this time. The surgery was deemed successful by his doctors and now Dylan begins a long, tough road to full recovery. It will be hard to accomplish, but we all know he can! 

While it is still early for a prognosis, the doctors are confident he will recover well, albeit slowly. They predict a recovery time of 12+ weeks, with the first eight weeks the most difficult as he will have zero weight bearing ability in the right leg. 

Dylan wants to remain in Argentina for his recovery and rehabilitation. He is in Argentina for the last half of a one-year study abroad program with Pepperdine University. The accident occurred on the second day of his spring semester. Dylan hopes he can recover and rehabilitate, while at the same time continuing his studies.

Of course, if Dylan came back to Marin, he would have family who could step in and help him heal and manage his recovery. He understands this, but his choice is to do this on his own in Argentina. We want to honor his choice. 

His Aunt Liz (a nurse) feels this is achievable, but feels Dylan will have to hire medical assistance for a few hours per day (at least the first 8 weeks) in the morning to help him with getting dressed, getting to school, and getting situated for school. Then in the evening getting him home and transitioned to bed. During the school day, Dylan may also need some help initially, but should become more independent as he heals, plus he will have a lot of students around to help him with small tasks.

Because of Dylan's medical insurance situation, he was not covered for medical insurance for this accident, but a catastrophic care policy kicked in and is paying for his surgery and hospital stay. The costs of the rehabilitation and any hired medical assistance will most likely have to be paid for by Dylan. We are conservatively estimating $500 per week for 8 weeks to cover a few hours per day of hired medical care assistance, Ubers to-and-from his homestay, and incidentals.

We know you have all generously supported Dylan as he broke free of his challenging childhood, explored the world around him, and stepped boldly into adulthood, and we hesitated to come to the well again. But these are extenuating circumstances for an extraordinary young man. Please help if you can. 

Finally, above all else, we believe in the supernatural power of prayer. We welcome and encourage you to pray for Dylan and his healing as he navigates this life-altering event.

Fundraiser Updates

Posted on March 12, 2018


Posted on March 12, 2018

Dylan was really looking forward to his trip to Redding and Mt. Shasta this weekend. The weather was amazing, especially compared to the bitter cold 2 weeks ago. We headed up on Thursday after the follow-up orthopedic appointment with with Dr. Golz. It was mostly good, positive news, but we did get some clarification on his left leg injuries and a more conservative prognosis on his right leg.    

After reviewing the MRI, Dr. Goltz let us know that Dylan’s knee injury is actually significant and may need surgical intervention a later date. He said his knee cap (patella) had been dislocated in the accident and at some point set back in place. Because of the past dislocation, the ligament holding the left patella in place on the right side is cleanly severed. In addition, Dylan’s left ACL is almost completely torn, but still intact. According to the MD, while these are significant injuries on their own, when viewed against the other injuries, they need to take a back seat and will be dealt with at a later date after Dylan’s femur has healed. He said Dylan’s age will work well in his favor and that the ACL could actually heal completely on its own. While he patella injury could also heal on its own, but he seemed to indicate that was a more remote possibility. In any event, Dr. Goltz said no decisions would be made on treatment of his left knee until his right leg is healed.    

As for the right leg, the healing has begun and the doctor highlighted calcification to Dylan that has already started to show on the x-ray. There is still a long way for all the bone to grow back, but the process has begun. I saw more shards of bone that I would have liked to see and asked the MD several times if things looked normal and he said definitely and seemingly reading my mind, he explained how all the shards will be nicely smoothed over and knit together once he is healed. 

Positively, he said that Dylan could now put 20 pounds of pressure on his right leg and that he would not need to be seen or x-rayed again for one month. Negatively, Dr. Goltz was more conservative on when he thought Dylan would get off his crutches. When we mentioned that Dylan had been told he would be waking full weight on his right leg by April, D. Goltz countered that he never told us that and he actually thought mid-May was more realistic. He advised that a femur break of his magnitude just could not be rushed and that he was committed to getting Dylan back on both feet as soon as possible, but that he thought it was at least another 2 months of crutches. Not what Dylan had wanted to hear, but looking at the x-rays and the amount of bone healing that needs to still take place it made sense.

After the appointment, we headed to Redding and Mt. Shasta. Thursday night we heard an incredible motivational speaker at Bethel Church. She really connected with Dylan and at times seemed to be talking directly to him. Afterwards, we introduced ourselves to her and I realized that I had actually met her before back in August 2010 when she had really inspired me personally at another event. The re-connection with her was a lot of fun and Dylan looks forward to meeting her again. Afterwards, we ate at the landmark, old-school Redding restaurant ‘Jack’s Grill’ and had a fried chicken feast!

Friday we took an art class together that featured painting exercises centered on healing, the perfect theme for Dylan! That evening, we met Joshua Stallings for a Chinese feast at Lim's Cafe, an 85 year old restaurant serving chinese/american food (think recipes from the 30s like chop suey, chow mien, and egg foo young) and still owned by Lim's daughters. Joshua is the son of Gary and Cathy Stallings who Dylan did volunteer work with in Uruguay last year. They run an orphanage and Dylan took a group of Pepperdine Students to visit for a weekend. It was definitely one of his highlights from his experience in South America.    

Saturday we spent the morning connecting with our Air B&B hosts. Sometimes the Air B&B experience is just a lodging experience and other times it provides a real connection. This trip was definitely the latter. We stayed with Ron and Janet at their beautiful ‘Wild At Heart’ organic farm outside Redding where they have goats and chickens and make essential oils from the plants on their property and market the products under the brand Pirate’s Secret. If you know Dylan, you know that he LOVES essential oils, so he really enjoyed seeing the property and the process and receiving some product. We also made breakfast with Ace and Blake, our hosts’ daughter and son-in-law. Blake is 23 and he and Dylan particularly had a lot in common and really connected.    

After breakfast, we grabbed some more turmeric kombucha and headed back up to Mt. Shasta. This time it was not freezing and snowing, but sunny and warm. Dylan amusingly chose to repeat almost everything we did from two weeks ago. We had the same lunch in the same health food store (Berryville), then went to the headwaters and once again, Dylan sang and played guitar by the rushing spring waters. We even met some of the same interesting people again there, including Wyatt, who remembered our names just like we remembered his! We again ended the day with a couple pots of tea at the Sereni-Tea Tea House and enjoyed chatting with the owner again as if we were old friends. Finally, we once again got homemade barbecue, potato salad, and coleslaw from our friend A.J. at the Shasta Market and headed back to Redding. The Mt. Shasta redux trip was a lot of fun for Dylan and much more pleasant at 67 degrees than it was at 37 degrees!

I’ll add that Dylan was far more himself and engaged with me and everyone we met than he was during the last visit just two weeks ago. I can confirm that he is 100% himself emotionally and mentally now. He just needs his body to catch up.

On the way home, we picked up a kombucha mother and starter from our friend Gabe and his family. Amazingly enough, they live less than a quarter mile from our Air B&B. That synchronicity was incredible, as we had thought our Air B&B was so far out of town that the kombucha pick up would be inconvenient and take us out of our way. We literally could have walked! As an aside, Dylan is very excited to make his own kombucha and I am equally excited to stop paying so much money for Dylan’s kombucha habit!   

We ended the night eating our barbecue dinner around a campfire with our hosts Janet and Ron talking about their lives. Janet is a mom and entrepreneur. She had her own experience with injured kids when her daughter Ace was injured severely in an ATV accident. She was very sympathetic to Dylan’s situation and seemed to now exactly the process we had just navigated. Ron regaled us with stories of working on the railroad and growing up in Dunsmuir in the late ‘50s and early ‘60s, which sounded like an idyllic childhood! We are hoping to return to the Wild at Heart farm at some point soon.  

We are now back in Marin and Dylan will start an online Spanish class with Arizona State University tomorrow. It is seven weeks long and will take him right up to his summer session at Pepperdine starting May 7th. Thanks again for all the support and healing prayers.   

Posted on March 6, 2018


Posted on March 6, 2018

Dylan really enjoyed his R&R trip to Mt. Shasta and Redding last weekend. In spite of his injury and his crutches, he was able to get around remarkably well and live life with more freedom after a month in bed. We spent Friday night and Saturday morning at Bethel Church, especially in their healing rooms, where the prayer teams lifted Dylan up in prayer. On Saturday afternoon, we grabbed a gallon of locally brewed turmeric kombucha and headed up the mountain to Mt. Shasta.     

Dylan’s main goal was to visit the headwaters of the Sacramento River (photo posted). So after a lunch of soup and salad at the local health store, we headed to the city park just out of town and the headwaters. Dylan sat by the spring for about an hour playing guitar and singing. Since the headwaters are a destination for world travelers, we had the pleasure of meeting a lot of fine folks as they came to drink the spring water and stopped to listen to Dylan’s music. Despite the fact that it was very cold and snowing, Dylan was energized by the experience and loved every minute of being on the mountain, by the water, and meeting so many new people. 

After the hour or so in the cold, we found a local teashop and sat in there sharing a couple pots of lavender tea and warming up. This was another chance for Dylan to meet and chat with people. He particularly enjoyed meeting a kid his age from Australia who was traveling the world. Dylan enjoyed the trip so much that we are headed back this weekend and will drive up Thursday or Friday.    

This week is Dylan’s MRI to assess his knee injury, as well as his third physical therapy visit. He will also have a follow-up orthopedic visit on Thursday where new x-rays will be taken to measure the healing progress to date. Dylan is continues to say no to any pain medication, but has been experiencing a little more pain lately. I suspect it is because he is just doing more, but I intend to ask the MD to evaluate. I'll get an update posted after the MRI and the x-rays.

One thing Dylan asked me to tell you all about is a movie he watched this week. Called “The Journey is the Destination” it is a film by his friend Kathy Eldon and tells the story of her son Dan Eldon. Dan’s story is one of living life to the fullest and leaving the world a better place than you found it. Dylan loved the movie and wants everyone to see the film. Personally, I found the film itself to be remarkably well-crafted and the story is definitely one deserving to be told. You can stream the movie on Netflix, as well as the other online services. I’ll add that many of you may recall Dylan’s poem that he posted as a video last year. It was inspired by the same story that inspired this movie. ("The Journey is the Destination" by Dylan Escobar

Dylan has been keeping busy reading, playing guitar, and writing songs. He has registration for his Fall semester this week and has been planning his schedule. He also is planning on taking an online class in Spanish beginning next week. 

Posted on February 23, 2018


Posted on February 23, 2018

Here is the post-orthopedic and post-physical therapy update. Apologies for the delay in getting this posted. Things have been hectic to say the least.

On Wednesday, Dylan saw Dr. David Goltz at Mt. Tam Orthopedics. The appointment was informative and reassuring at the same time. 

Some of the new information Dylan received was:

  • In addition to his other injuries, Dylan has a left broken ankle and a potential ligament injury in his left knee (what we used to joke was Dylan's 'good leg'). Dr. Goltz said the only real treatment for the ankle would be a boot, but since this is the leg he supports himself on with crutches, it would be more of a hindrance than a help. He said the ankle break would resolve over time. As for the ligament injury, Dr. Goltz suspects a torn or injured MCL and has ordered an MRI to confirm his suspicion. The biggest take away from this information is now there is an understanding of why Dylan has been experiencing so much pain and swelling in his left knee and ankle. Neither injury is in need of immediate treatment, and Dr. Goltz said to just stay the course. 
  • Dr. Goltz said he has seen plenty of femur fractures in his career and Dylan's was on the severe side. He said there is still a lot of healing to be done and that the fracture still requires zero weight in the right leg. The bone has not really started knitting together and once the healing is complete Dylan will have a noticeable knob of excess bone on his femur due to the severity of the splaying of the bone in the fracture. He said this was unavoidable and due to his injury, not his treatment. 
  • There is a minor 2-degree difference between the top part of the femur and the bottom part of the femur. This he said was a common result of such a severe fracture and would have no bearing on Dylan's recovery or his future well-being. He said the decision was probably made during surgery that the straightness of setting the bone was as good as could be achieved. Dr. Goltz himself has made those sorts of decisions and had he been the surgeon may well have said the same thing in the midst of the surgery. He told us there is a champion skier on the Olympic team right now who has a 2% differential in the same location due to a fracture and is still skiing strong.  Take away: nothing to worry about.
  • The pelvic fractures are minor and not an issue. He said they are already hard to see in the new x-rays and that there is no displacements and nothing to worry about. He agreed that pain would have been the only limiting factor from the pelvic fractures and was pleased that Dylan continues to report no pain from his pelvis. 

Some of the reassuring information Dylan received:

  • Dr. Goltz said that had Dylan come to him after this accident and if he had been the attending physician and surgeon, he would have treated Dylan in the exact same way. That the surgical method and type of hardware used were first-line treatment and that it is clear Dylan received excellent medical care in Argentina. He said his only difference would have been a different brand of rod for the repair. Dylan recalled that initially the surgeon in Argentina was going to have Dylan wait for four days for the surgery due to the need to order the rod, but that the surgery actually happened the next morning. We both wondered if the decision was made to go forward with another rod to get him repaired sooner rather than later. Dr. Goltz said the rod choice really had no bearing on the recovery and was just a matter of physician preference. 
  • Dylan will heal and heal almost as good as new. Dr. Golz did add some caveats that Dylan did not receive in Argentina. For example, while he agreed that Dylan will be able to be hiking and backpacking this summer, he said the true healing arc for this injury is more like 18 months, rather than six months. He said Dylan will not be fully physically able this summer as if nothing had happened. He will move slower, be weaker, and experience more limitations on the trail this summer than he would have without an injury. 
  • Dr. Golz also said that he would not say Dylan will ever heal 100%. He said if he had to put a percentage on it that it is more reasonable to say that Dylan will be at 95%. He said a barely noticeable difference, but that there will be some reminders of the accident for the rest of his life. Things like aches and pains when the weather changes will  be the ways his body reminds him that once upon a time in a land far away, he had an unfortunate encounter with a bus. All in all, Dr. Goltz confirmed what we already knew: Dylan is fortunate to have survived the initial ordeal and that the recovery and rehabilitation will take some time but will happen and be successful.

As for physical therapy, Dylan had his first session. The therapist says his range of motion is not that bad considering the trauma and that he will see him once a week for 12 weeks. We have six appointments scheduled and will schedule the rest soon.

Dylan needed a change of scenery so I brought him up to Redding and Mt. Shasta for the weekend. Dylan likes this area and has spent time here over the last few years. We made the drive late last night and will spend the weekend, heading back Monday or Tuesday. 

About the Organizer

Report Fundraiser

Report Fundraiser

*Please report fraud and Terms of Service violations only. Personal disputes will not be reviewed.

* YouCaring will not use or share your phone number or other information for marketing purposes.



Add Our Donation Widget to Your Site
Grab Our Widget

Dylan Escobar's Rehabilitation Effort

Grab Our Widget
Donate NowFacebook Share Button