The Democracy Center is a 21st Century Meeting HouseMeetinghouse where seven nonprofits, dozens of community organizations, direct-supports, and actions work toward a stronger and unified community. As colleagues and able-bodied allies in the building of a more just, sustainable, equitable, connected, and creative world, we must also acknowledge the members of our community that have been excluded from our work due to inaccessibility.
In the spring of 2017, The Democracy Center hired four disabled individuals as accessibility consultants in partnership with PRA Architects to re-imagine this Meetinghouse as an intersectional and accessible place of organizing.
The ramp was installed at the end of August and final touches on the door threshold and lock system should be complete by the early 2018r, creating access to the 3 meeting rooms on the east side of the building (more details on our website. http://www.democracycenter.org/accessibility). The journey toward complete accessibility is long and winding, and we are thrilled to embark upon it knowing that we have much more to do.
Our goal for this fundraising campaign is to raise $50,000 to partially cover the costs of the ramp, demonstrating investment in accessibility from our primarily able-bodied community of event organizers and participants.
In the coming months, we will be exploring and implementing improvements to create a more accessible bathroom and equitable water access in the building, based on our consultants’ input and feedback.
Short Term Goals:
- wheelchair accessible entrance on DeWolfe Street. In order to give equal dignity and importance to both entrances the accessible entrance will have:
- equal signage and be clearly marked from the front entrance
- an integrated lock system
- push button opener
- Provide small internal ramps to accommodate the half-steps between sides of the building
- Provide a water cooler and accessible hand washing option
- Equip and train Meetinghouse event organizers with accurate language to describe our current level of accessibility
- Update our website with accurate and easily located accessibility information and make the website more accessible through the Web Content Accessibility Guidelines v. 2.0