Posted on September 23, 2017
Further to our last update Dawn has had a very challenging time. We knew the cancer was becoming very active and in the absence of being able to fly needed to seek immediate treatment in the UK.
Radiotherapy was undertaken to the tumour found behind her left eye and chemotherapy was pencilled in to start last week. A visit to meet the Oncologist to start the chemotherapy was scheduled. At this meeting the Oncologist was surprised to see Dawn in her wheelchair which she has had to use for a number of weeks now due to pain and sensations down her back and legs. She has been reporting on this and complaining of this for some time, with only referrals being made to the pain management team.
The Oncologist seemed to understand that things were now far more serious than they had previously thought and urgent scans were arranged. After a confusing week, a meeting was scheduled with the consultant and we were told that Dawn had Spinal Cord Compression. This was devastating news and requires swift diagnosis and treatment to prevent long-term disability due to irreversible spinal cord injury. Sadly the cancer is proving to be very active and also needs urgent an immediate treatment.
The meeting with the consultant discussed what could happen next as any back treatment probably couldn't take place whilst any cancer treatment was in progress. As the cancer is now very active any delay on chemotherapy would only allow this to progress further. Chemotherapy was started.
Our worry now is that paralysis will soon be our next biggest challenge. We will be seeking a second opinion from a private consultant and to see if there is anything that can be done whilst chemotherapy is in progress.
Feeling angry and frightened at the moment. Next steps:
- Meeting with spine/back consultant
- Continue weekly Chemotherapy
- Plan for Spain and private alternatives for Spine and Cancer
Thank you all for your support and continued fundraising.