Save Dave

For: Dave Kay
Ginosar, North District, Israel
Organizer: Emly Kay
of $150,000 goal.
Raised by 1481 donors
76% Complete

The Story

UPDATE: October 20th 2017
Thank you all for donating to #SaveDave. We regularly check this page and appreciate every kind word of support and donation made. We are still fighting to have my treatment paid for by health insurance, and until then we still have to pay for it out of pocket. We also have regular advanced tests we have to pay to be done in America (they are not done anywhere else) and we are still trying to get to as many conferences as we can. Because of these ongoing costs we have raised the goal to $150,000, every dollar counts to us!

A special mention needs to go to all those running 10km around Tel Aviv in my honour on 31st October. I really hope to be joining you all... 10km used to be a walk in the park for me but maybe i'll make it once again. Im signing up, and we'll see what will happen! Thanks to all those running with my cause on their shirt, and those sponsoring the runners. From the bottom of my heart Icannot thank you guys enough. I never expected to be a reason for people to run, but it means so much to me that so many of you care.

UPDATE: August 6th, 2017
All we can say is THANK YOU. In less than a week we have managed to reach our goal and you have given us a chance to #SaveDave. 

The YouCaring page will remain active and all additional donations will continue to go towards Dave's treatment plan. 

We will be posting updates regularly. We hope you will continue to follow our story. 

Hi - We are the Kay Family.  

In June 2016, Dave was diagnosed with a rare form of cancer, Stage IV Non-Small Cell Lung Carcinoma (NSCLC) EGFR+ with multiple Brain, Liver, and Bones Metastasis.
Dave is 32 years old, never smoked, and has always lived a healthy lifestyle.
This news was and continues to be devastating for us and our young family, including our 2-year-old daughter, Noa.

As Dave’s treatment progresses, we are realizing how much we need extra support. We are surrounded by loving friends in our home in Israel, but our families are located in different countries and the intense medical treatment that Dave requires is taking its toll not only emotionally but financially. Dave has only been able to work occasionally since his diagnosis. 
Often times, due to chemotherapy, radiation, and a variety of pills that make up Dave’s treatment, we find ourselves not only with one household income but the responsibilities of taking care of Dave, our daughter, and daily tasks. Although we have immense support from our friends, we often find ourselves alone on this crazy journey.

This is why we have decided to create a fundraising page: to help ease the financial burden that Dave’s medical situation has put on our family. 

Thank you for reading so far. We will go into more details below, as we know that many of you are interested in hearing Dave’s current diagnosis and treatment updates. In the meantime, thank you for your financial contribution and for keeping Dave in your hearts during this difficult time.


When Dave was diagnosed last summer, his oncologist (who we love) put him on a trial biological breakthrough pill called Tagrisso. Thankfully the treatment had few side effects and it slowly took some of the cancer out of his body. However, 7 months later, the treatment stopped working and Dave changed pills to a less advanced biological treatment (called Afatanib). After 2 months of continuous progression, his oncologist decided that Dave needed chemotherapy. At the moment Dave is in the middle of whole brain radiotherapy (WBRT) and chemotherapy in order to control the rapid spread of tumors that continue to multiply.

Since beginning chemotherapy and radiation, Dave is constantly fatigued and weak. Our day to-day life is focused around Dave’s current treatment plan. Dave can’t go back to being a tour guide, the career he was once devoted to, and he is often frustrated at his inability to contribute financially to our family.

We want Dave to have the best treatment possible. There is currently no cure for this type of cancer but with careful monitoring and effective treatment, we hope to manage the disease as a chronic illness so Dave can go back living his life.

We are calling on the generosity of friends, family, neighbors, and strangers to help us #SaveDave. Your financial support will allow us to pursue the most advanced treatments possible as well as help us with constant expenses we incur surrounding Dave's treatment plan.


All donations are tax deductible and go towards the following expenses:

• Consultations with leading lung cancer specialists around the world - Ranging from $300 to $1,000 per consultation
• Housing near the hospital during daily treatment - NIS 500 per night
• Transportation to & from treatment from our home in Northern Israel - NIS 150
• Childcare for Noa during treatment - NIS 400 per day
• Translating medical documents from Hebrew to English - NIS 150 per page
• Attending lung cancer medical conferences abroad - $3,000
(There have been medical conferences in the past that could have been extremely beneficial to attend but due to financial constraints, we have not been able to participate in any. Attending conferences is essential for Dave’s treatment plan because as our knowledge broadens, we can learn more about his specific mutations and the treatments available to him.)  
• Champions Oncology Treatment -  $10,000
(We were recently given the incredible opportunity to be part of a service that helps determine which cancer treatment could effectively shrink Dave’s tumors and save his life. By using Champions Oncology, Dave’s living tumor was removed during a biopsy and was implanted into mice. If these mice survive they will allow doctors to test multiple drug combinations and find the most effective treatment for his specific cancer.
With your help, we can use the funds to test Dave’s tumor in several more mice, giving him a better chance to find which treatment  is right for his cancer. This alone can save Dave’s life. To learn more about Champions Oncology, you can click here: )
• Future treatments not covered by Dave’s health insurance - $10,000
(So far, most of Dave’s treatment has been covered by his health insurance. However, in the very near future, we expect to use other treatment options, which are not covered by his insurance and/or is located outside of Israel. The most expensive costs we have already incurred that have not been covered by insurance are laboratory tests, located in the USA. These tests do not exist in Israel and have given us vital information about Dave’s cancer, and how to best treat it.)


Each year, more people die of lung cancer than of colon, breast, and prostate cancers combined. Around 2 out of 3 people diagnosed with lung cancer are 65 or older, while less than 2% are younger than 45.

Lung cancer is by far the leading cause of cancer death among both men and women; about 1 out of 4 cancer deaths are from lung cancer.


1. Donate what you can, no amount is too small and donations are tax deductible
2. Share this campaign with your network and on social media with hashtag #SaveDave
3. Donate to or visit the website, Israel’s Lung Cancer Association (in Hebrew), or your home country’s lung cancer organization.

Fundraiser Updates

Posted on October 20, 2017


Posted on October 20, 2017

October 20th update:

After a month of travelling the US I can report we are all back in Israel. We had a great time and really appreciated all Emly’s family that accommodated us with open arms.

I struggled a bit with my side effects throughout our trip, fatigue and nausea being the worse of them. But we made it work, wherever we were staying.

Now we are back home I have a few updates to discuss. I have an MRI booked in next week and we are trying to move up my PET CT to an earlier time as it’s currently in November. I also have a doctors appointment next week but I wouldn’t expect any big news because we won’t have any of my results back in time. If the tests find the treatment is working then hopefully I'll be back on my health insurance.

We may have reached our goal but the costs haven’t come down. We are still paying for 2nd opinions, test done abroad and most importantly, my treatment. Hope you all had a great month and its good to be back in Israel. 

(Photo taken with Odie, Emlys brother when we visited him a few weeks ago in Austin)

Posted on September 15, 2017


Posted on September 15, 2017

Update September 15th 2017

What a great week….We got some really good news to share with you. 

The PET CT revealed the treatment is working! This was the first bit of conclusive positive news we have had since last year. I can’t describe to you my relief and happiness after such a journey we’ve been on. 

I am feeling almost back to full strength, I’d probably be going back to work if we didn’t have a trip to USA planned. We are leaving on Tuesday and returning in a month, in the middle of October. 

When I return we will have more tests and if the positive news continues, we are hoping my health insurance will begin to cover my medications again. I am alive now because of your donations, I’m living on medicine that was only available to me because you were so generous. Thank you so much for your help and support. 

I'm not sure how many updates i'll be writing in the US over the next month. We have decided to try to take a break in America. Chag Sameach. חג שמח.

Posted on September 8, 2017


Posted on September 8, 2017

Friday 8th September Update:

This week was a good week. I am feeling a lot better, I've even been managing to cycle around the Kibbutz!

We started the week with a productive appointment with my doctor. We found out from a blood test my liver function has improved. This is a good sign that the treatment is working. Its not definitive, but on Tuesday I had a PET CT which we still are awaiting the results. 

Thursday we got some other blood test results which measure the amount of Protein present, which also came back as an improvement. I don’t want to get my hopes up too high, but all the signs so far are pointing to the treatment as working.

Next week we will get the PET CT results and I'm take an MRI.  

We have plans to fly to the US on 19th September, but we will only go if my treatment is working. This is my motivation right now, to get my family, to Emly’s family. We haven’t seen most of them in a year.

I really appreciate all the love and support you give me, it keeps me going! I've attached a photo of my pill box from the beginning of the week, each column is a days worth of pills. Hoping at least one or two of these are doing me some good!

About the Organizer

Report Fundraiser

Report Fundraiser

Please report potential fraud and Terms of Service violations only. Personal disputes will not be reviewed.

We require this in case we need to contact you for further details.*

* YouCaring will not distribute your phone number to any third parties or use it for marketing purposes.



Add Our Donation Widget to Your Site
Grab Our Widget

Save Dave

Grab Our Widget
Donate NowFacebook Share Button