On July 7, 2016, the nation suffered its greatest loss of law enforcement life during a single-incident since the 9/11 tragedy in New York City. In Dallas, Texas, five police officers were shot and killed in an act of domestic terrorism. The painful impact of this tragedy rippled across the nation, resulting in thousands - police officers and civilians alike, mourning the loss of the five “fallen" officers. In the aftermath of the attack, several police officers throughout the United States recounted stories of their emotions and how they embraced their own families after learning of the Dallas tragedy. Many of the police officers described going home and hugging their families tighter in reflecting of the tremendous loss. This statue is being designed as a physical representation of the experiences and emotions held by police officers across the country in the wake of Dallas attack. The statue’s iconic size (10 feet) is intended to signify the momentous impact of the July 7th tragedy on the nation and its bronze coating is symbolic of the unbreakable will of other police officers to continue to subsequent to the attack.
This larger-than-life bronze sculpture is intended to honor the service and sacrifice of all “fallen” officers and will serve as a memorial for American citizens to always remember 7/7/16 and the brave officers who laid down their lives defending their community.
Renowned artist, Austin Weishel, is dedicated to building this hand-sculptured memorial to honor of the fallen officers. The sculpture’s meticulous body positions and dramatic facial expressions will be carefully scored to show the real-life behaviors and emotions experienced by police officers in the wake of similar crises. http://austinweishel.com/
Amount of time to create sculpture: (1.5) years (12) months of Sculpting (6) months for Bronzing
Total size of bronze sculpture with base:
15 feet tall
- 2.00 over-life-size, approximately (12 ft. tall)
- One-of-a-kind (No reproductions of equal size will ever be reproduced)
- Structural engineered
Individualized Creation steps:
- Artist will hand-sculpt a 24 inch maquette (miniature sculpture) (2 months to create)
- Artist will then create the 12 ft. tall larger-than-life-size sculpture by hand
- Contractor will cut the sculpture up to make a mold of each part of the sculpture (1 month)
- Foundry will pour wax into the mold that was made
- Foundry cast wax in sand to create a hard shell around the wax
- Foundry pours 2,000 degree bronze into shells
- Foundry welds all part of the sculpture
- Foundry will grind down and re texture the entire artwork
- Foundry will color sculpture to the clients recondition
Land, (if not donated): $110,000
Base, (granite 3 foot tall): $112,000
Lighting, (Hope to be donated): $18,000
Bronze sculpture: $480,000 (insurance, transportation, (1) 24" model, over-life-size sculpture, Structural engineering)
Any monies not used on this project will be donated directly to the families of this tragic incident.