Posted on May 11, 2018
Pictured above is Marlo with CARES alum, Shark, whose humans fostered Marlo and drove her to surgery this morning. Thank you!
Today was a long day. Marlo made it through surgery fine, but unfortunately, there were complications. Once inside, the surgeon found more scar tissue than anticipated - proving Marlo’s legs had broken at least 3 weeks ago and had begun mending on their own.
Operating on a puppy this small is challenging anyway, but the placement of her injuries combined with how long she’s had them made the procedure even more tedious. We received short updates from the clinic staff and are meeting with the surgeon tomorrow for a full report. We will update you all as soon as we have more concrete information. Here’s what we know:
- There is hope that Marlo will walk again but no guarantees. Only time will tell. 🙏🏻
- She will be on strict kennel rest for 4-6 weeks combined with rehab and therapy.
- She’s awake and recovering well. Tomorrow, she returns to Clarksdale.
- The doctors believe she will have more mobility than she‘s had, increasing her quality of life. She just may walk a little differently. 🙃
- There is still talk of a wheel cart.
We are antsy to get Marlo back in our care and begin the next phase. We are hopeful + prayerful that her little limbs can mend together properly and that Marlo can soon run free!
Consider donating if you can. As a nonprofit animal shelter, we are depending on you to help us make ends meet. We are beyond humbled + grateful for the love and support shown to Marlo thus far. 💙