Blue Cone Studios supports artists in multiple mediums and provides a safe space, time, mentorship and inspiration for those looking to explore and expand their creative practice.
For the last two years we have been building a foundation of artistic community service in Seattle by producing events and projects that invite anyone to participate regardless of training or skill level.
Our studio, located in the popular Pike/Pine corridor of Capitol Hill, becomes less affordable by the year as Seattle continues to squeeze out local creative spaces in lieu of big box corporate structures that offer little to help those displaced. We are hoping that, with a little help from each of YOU, we can maintain our space and continue to provide the loving artistic environment so many have come to rely on for sanctuary.
We have joined forces with Shunpike, a 501(c)(3) non-profit agency that provides independent arts groups in Washington State with services, resources, and opportunities they need to forge their own paths to sustainable success. Powered by Shunpike means that you can be assured your donations are tax deductable and managed responsibly.
With YOUR support we can take the next step, upgrade some of our equipment, and begin to pay artists/dancers/musicians/videographers/photographers/editors for the work they have so graciously donated over the years and without whom we would have nothing to share with you. We have survived hand to mouth with support from a few gracious patrons and now we are reaching out so that we might get on track to thrive and increase the programs and workshops we offer in order to provide more to the community at large.
How your donations help us bring you more ART:
- TUESDAY TEA: Every week we open the studio and provide paints, markers, clay, free recording in Capitol Hill sound proof recording booth, guidance, comaraderie, and refreshments. This is a valuable time for many of our artists seeking to explore different mediums and brainstorm ideas with other creatives. Engineer, refreshments, supplies = $120/wk
- Our kiln needs new elements. It was originally wired at the wrong voltage and has thus been using excess (and expensive) electricity every time we fire and doesn't have the strength to reach its full firing capabilities. $600
- CAPITOL HILL ART WALK: Every second Thursday we open the studio to the public at large to share in recent works by our in-house and guest artists. With a little help on the advertising front we hope to draw more attention to the studio in order to get our artists seen by a greater audience of appreciative patrons. Refreshments, posters, social media advertising = $150/mo
- SUNDAY NIGHT SESSIONS: Once a month we bring a local creative act to the studio to produce videos for entertainment and promotion believing strongly in the power of the internet to bring attention to the diverse talent we are surrounded by. We provide videographers, photographers, editors, lights, and sound equipment. Until now, this program has been strictly volunteer but that makes getting things edited on time a little trickier and leaves room for scheduled sessions to lose folks to jobs and projects that can actually pay them. Help us pay our Session Crew and create more incredible videos for you and these artists. $600/mo (check out Blue Cone Studios on YouTube)
- DROP CLOTH RUNWAY: Every year we try to produce a couple of big shows to include as many artists as possible. Our Spring production will invite up to 30 artist/designers and challenge them to create a runway look using only studio drop cloth as fabric. No experience necessary to participate. Those with means will be encourage to purchase their drop cloth to offset costs but no one will be turned away for lack of funds. Blue Cone will provide space, time, sewing machines, and guidance for artists without space or means during the month of May leading up to the big show.
- The show itself will be an exciting night filled with musical and dance performances, runway antics, and our very entertaining host, Tony James.
- Performers, venue rental, production manager, videographer, photographers, marketing = $6000
- EFANORA: Dance Performance choreographed by Vincent Michael Lopez. Each year we try to support the passion project of at least one artist. Last year we produced the first part of this dance series with local dancers in collaboration with studio artists and Stella Kutz at Yaw Theater. Once again, the learning process on production was very diy/figure it out, but we did it and the show was spectacular. This year, we would like to step it up a notch and, not only pay the dancers/choreographer/stage manager what they deserve, but give them the opportunity to be seen by a wider audience. $7500
- RENT/UTILITIES: In order to keep rent as low as possible for the resident artists and maintain the space as a community gathering center, our Blue Cone Founder has assumed the majority of the operational costs. It would be amazing to alleviate some of that burden so that we may all spend more time focusing on craft and community and less time in the drudges of financial instability. $25k/year
We appreciate any and all support and promise to return tenfold in creativity and community engagement. We can all be Blue Cone.