Need some inspiration before you get started? Take a look at a few of success stories.
Story: Shortly after their wedding, Matthew was diagnosed with Acute Lymphoblastic Leukemia. His wife Katia started crowdfunding to help with the expenses and their first campaign raised $835,918. Now as crowdfunding veterans, Matthew and Katia started a second campaign to help pay for a new clinical trial to save his life.
Fundraising Goal: $700,000
Amount Raised: $379,157
Recipe for Success:
- Their campaign is written in both English and French to best connect with their target audience
- They write habitual updates that help paint an honest picture of what they are going through.
- Their gallery of 20 photos chronicles Matthew’s progress and showcases their personality.
- Their strategic engagement with social media propelled their reach. They came up with the #knockoutleukemiachallenge to help gain traction.
- They created a Facebook Business page in tandem with their campaign and used it to boost their reach.
- Their story was featured in the local news on several occasions, and Katia was even interviewed on TV.
- No matter what they always found time to thank their supporters throughout Matthew’s treatment.
Story: Tragedy overcame the Bay Area when a party in an Oakland warehouse ended in a catastrophic fire that killed 36 people and displaced several others. The Gray Area Foundation for the Arts acted quickly by creating a crowdfunding campaign to aid the victims and their families.
Fundraising Goal: $950,000
Amount Raised: $920,453
Recipe for Success:
- The campaign has a heart-wrenching story about a community who came together in the face of an emergency.
- As a nonprofit, they had an existing relationship with the community that enabled them to gain support immediately.
- There were several offline fundraising events organized by both the nonprofit as well as community members, adding to the online donation pool.
- Their campaign had major influencers like celebrities and other nonprofits driving traffic to it via social media posts.
- Due to the severity of the event, the story itself got press coverage all over the world from major and minor news publishers.
- With over 73,000 social media shares, the campaign received significant attention online that helped solidify their success.
- Check out more of our success stories here.
So far we have covered the basics, from campaign set up to sharing. The following lessons will teach you how to take your campaign to the next level and become a bonafide crowdfunding expert.
Lesson Seven offers a guide taking full advantage of your personal Facebook to expand your reach.