Without videos, many online fundraisers remain unnoticed and underfunded. A video is your most powerful tool to connect emotionally with potential donors, heighten awareness and raise donations for your crowdfunding campaign. By following our advice you’ll find it’s easy to make an effective, heartfelt video that gets watched, gets shared and gets funding online.
A Successful Crowdfunding Campaign Video Builds Trust through Honesty
Let viewers get to know the beneficiary — and understand the reality of their need for help — by creating a video that shows them at home, in their community, or with loved ones. Honesty includes speaking from the heart with personality and insight.
- Identify visual elements your video can spotlight. Which details of your story will encourage potential donors to care about what happens next and understand how their contribution will make a difference?
- Make it personal in the way that works best for your cause and beneficiary. In the Syrian Dental Relief fundraiser video, Deah Barakat exemplifies the power of speaking your mind and being clear about how donations will make a great difference. The Be Ian-spired! fundraiser video uses wonderful family video and photos, and The Riley Sandler Memorial Foundation, Inc. fundraiser video features many people who share loving memories.
- Be sure to name the beneficiary, community and reason for your fundraiser. For helpful tips including a video about making a candid fundraising video, check out this The Social Side of Giving blog post.
To get started, just press record on a camera or cellphone. Many personal, handheld technology devices (including cameras and mobile phones) offer video-recording functionality that is designed for beginners. To edit your video, basic software may reside on the same device, or you can find free or low-cost options with a quick online search. For assistance, ask friends to lend a hand. Or inquire at your local junior college for students interested in building their video production skills.
A Compelling Video Is The Best Way To Raise Money
Fundraisers with videos raise money online faster and better than those without videos. Why? A video quickens donor empathy and contributions. As this Fast Company article explains, a 2013 Google study found that, after watching an online video about a nonprofit organization, 57 percent of viewers made a donation.
In addition, music swiftly turns text and images into emotional connections. Choose a song with lyrics that relate to your story. Use it as the sound for a compilation of beneficiary photos with meaningful captions, as in the fundraiser video for Help bring “Sweet T.” home to Georgia. For a great example of pairing photos with music, watch the video for the fundraiser Joining Jessica’s Journey.
Powerful Videos Raise Awareness of Online Fundraisers
Video offers you astonishing power to heighten visibility for your cause. Anthony Carbajal, beneficiary of For Anthony, With Love, talked about the life-changing effect of his ALS ice bucket challenge video — which also led to his September 2014 appearance on The Ellen DeGeneres Show — in a Huffington Post interview:
“This video has shown me that anything is possible. If I can make a video and it’s watched by 16 million people and it appears on the Ellen show, what’s not possible? I’m trying to stay hopeful, and live in the moment, even with all my fears.”
When you provide context in a video, you’re inviting viewers to care about and donate to your cause and beneficiary. Watch the fundraiser videos for Hoosiers2Haiti and Porters with Pangea to Uganda to see the emotional power of interviewing people that your cause will help, showing the community that your mission trip will serve, and illustrating why help is needed. If you are raising money for a nonprofit organization that has professional video footage, feature it.
Create Better Impact with Short Fundraiser Videos
People process visual information about 60,000 times faster than text, as explained in this Third Sector Today article about fundraising trends. That makes a picture worth 60,000 words! So think of a video as your most rapid route to success.
- A brief video instantly communicates your story anytime, anywhere. It fits the short attention span of most folks. And it creates a strong, simple way for donors and social media connections to share your story, in exactly the way that you wish to tell it.
- Most fundraising for a cause that goes viral relies on a video to connect and inspire donations far beyond their families and friends.
- A video of even 30 seconds has ample time for people to hear a few words from a beneficiary, as in this Blessings for Bijou fundraiser video.
- By posting a few shorter videos instead of one lengthy piece, you gain more opportunities to reach people, share updates and retain people’s attention.
If you’re ready to start raising money online, click here to create your fundraiser. For related tips about building your crowdfund campaign, check out our guide to honest storytelling that drives donations and how inspiring images improve crowdfunding campaigns.