According to the annual High School Athletics Participation Survey, more than half of students in high school participate in a sport. A team’s shared spirit and love for the game drives them to compete in tournaments and competitions where they can showcase the skills that they worked tirelessly to perfect together on the field, on the track, on the court or in the pool or.
The benefits of sports are immeasurable, as they can improve physical health and positively influence youth development. Sports build beneficial skills like self confidence, leadership, goal setting, discipline and teamwork. TrueSport reported that youth who participated in sports achieve higher grades, greater self-esteem and more connections with school, as well as stronger relationships with both peers and adults.
There are countless reasons a sports team may need to raise funds—tournament fees, team jerseys, equipment, improvements to facilities and even general registrations fees. In most cases, each teammate must face and overcome these financial obstacles in order to participate. Sports team fundraising can help offset upfront costs, and unique events held in tandem with an online crowdfunding campaign can put athletes on a winning streak. Get started with our fundraising ideas now.
Three Great Fundraising Ideas for Any Sports Team
1. Organize a Raffle
For every fixed amount donated to your online fundraiser, participants will receive a raffle ticket to be entered into a drawing to win prizes. Reach out to your favorite professional sports players and ask for sports memorabilia or autographs to add some high value to your raffle and boost raffle ticket sales. Most national sports leagues have an option on their website that shows how each team is giving back to their community. In that tab, there is usually a donation request page that explains how you can apply for donations like sports memorabilia. Also, ask local businesses if they would be willing to donate items like a gift card or movie tickets to your team’s cause to add to the list of prizes. A great place and time to hold the raffle would be during halftime of a game.
2. Hold a Teaching Clinic
Organize a clinic for younger players as a way to raise funds and teach the next generation of athletes. A clinic provides hands-on instruction from experienced athletes for younger athletes looking to improve their skills. The only resources needed are your teammates time and skills, so there are no out of pocket expenses. Participants can register by donating online to your cause.
3. Arrange a Hall of Fame Restaurant Night
Contact your team’s favorite restaurant to ask if they will donate 10 percent or more of their total sales from one night to your team’s cause through your online fundraiser. Restaurants are likely to say yes because you are bringing in a huge crowd of business for them and they get to support a local cause. Have your teammates bring in their family, friends, and anyone else from the community who would be interested in supporting your team in a very easy way—enjoying a meal together. As an added incentive, you can invite past local sports celebrities or celebrated coaches from your community. They might even dole out advice or autograph some photos.
Six Stellar Sport-Specific Fundraising Ideas
- A baseball team can rent a dunk tank and anyone who wants to participate must donate to your online fundraiser in order to get the chance of knocking your coach or a team member into the water by throwing the “perfect” pitch.
- A dance team can hold a salsa, swing, two-step, tango or whatever type of dance lesson they want to teach their community. Ask for donations to your online fundraiser to participate.
- A team of golfers can offer to mow lawns in exchange for an online donation to your fundraiser. After all, they are very familiar with different cuts of grass.
- A hockey team can use their skills to host ice-skating lessons at their local rink. Have participants make an online donation to your cause, then take them out on the ice to show them some moves.
- A cheer squad can allow community members to “rent” the squad through an online donation and give a motivational cheer to the recipient of the donor’s choice. Harness your squad’s enthusiasm and share your joy with others.
- A surf team can offer a sponsored beach cleanup, where each team member actively seeks online donations per piece of trash they find.
Meet Team Goals With Crowdfunding
Whether you are a little-league team raising funds for a new batting cage or a dance team looking to offset the costs associated with a championship, crowdfunding can lend a hand.
Help your sports team today by creating a campaign on YouCaring.