When you promote your fundraiser on Facebook, the settings of your page can improve your reach dramatically. Many people are unaware that a Facebook algorithm selects information for each user’s news feed. With our steps to getting your cause on more Facebook timelines, it’s easy to publicize your appeal and gain attention for your cause.
1. Make Facebook Fundraising Posts Public
By granting open access to your posts, you can heighten awareness of your fundraiser among the general public as well as the Facebook community. Public posts can show up in online search results, when anyone searches for a keyword or cause like yours.
- Near the bottom of the status box, the audience selector tool offers options such as Public, Friends, Friends of Friends, Custom and Only Me. Choose Public for all your posts about your campaign. Note the Public option represents the globe next to your fundraiser title.
- When you request that users share your story with their own social networks, ask them to make their posts public, too.
- To learn more about finding your audience, read this Facebook Help Center page.
2. Tag Friends to Post on Their Facebook Timelines
In your updates, tag friends who you think are most likely to help spread the word and expand the reach of your fundraiser. Tagging others will notify them of your post and should add your fundraiser to their Facebook timelines. Include a request to re-share your message; if they do, it will definitely post on their own timelines. Make a catchy custom hashtag to help your supporters follow your journey.
Try not to spam people’s timelines with your fundraiser link, and be strategic in your efforts to reach out to those who are likely to share. If you are unsure, message them privately and ask if it would be OK.
3. Change Your Facebook Sharing Settings to Welcome Everyone
Allow the world to follow your fundraiser. On your page, open your Facebook sharing settings. Under Followers, choose Everyone to allow anyone to see your posts in their news feed.
Click on Timeline and Tagging in your account settings. Make changes so that anyone can view your timeline. You can let anyone add content to your timeline, if you wish.
4. Encourage Facebook Share Options that Keep Supporters Informed
Each user’s Facebook sharing settings shape the content that people can see in their news feed. Here’s what supporters of your cause can do to see more of your news.
- Encourage people to subscribe to your updates. It’s a quick choice they can select in their sharing settings.
- Near the top of your page, visitors can choose to Like, Get Notifications and Follow your page.
- Facebook share options include a “Close Friend” designation that ensures those connections get all your posts. It’s fine to ask people to identify you as a Close Friend, so long as you already know they are dedicated advocates for your cause.
5. Sponsor Your Own Fundraiser
For a very low cost you can pay to have your message reach more Facebook timelines. Sponsoring a post can provide a great boost to your YouCaring fundraising efforts. On your Facebook page, click on Create Ads to get started. You can get exposure and clicks to your fundraiser from people interested in causes like yours for just a few dollars.
Now that you know these quick ways to amplify your message on Facebook timelines, a bigger crowdfunding audience is just a few clicks away!
For related advice read:
- Facebook Fundraising 101
- How to Start a Facebook Page for Your Fundraiser
- Maintaining a Facebook Page for Your Fundraiser
- How to Use Facebook Advertising for Your Fundraiser
- A Beginner’s Guide to Fundraising With Facebook
- Facebook 24 Hour Campaign