No one likes to talk about it, but funerals come with a high price tag. Funeral expenses often create a financial burden for family members, who are already overwhelmed by the loss of their loved one. With our simple ways to raise money for funeral expenses, you can learn how to use crowdfunding to provide assistance and relief in times of sorrow and grief.
Crowdfunding for Funeral Financial Assistance
When people hear that a friend has died, they want to connect with others who are grieving, and they want do something to help comfort to the family. Your online fundraiser is a wonderful opportunity to do both. Here are the steps to take when starting a crowdfunding campaign to help offset funeral costs.
- Get permission from the family to raise money for funeral financial assistance.
- Start a free online fundraiser, so that more of the money raised reaches the family.
- Feature the person’s first name and last name in the fundraiser title, along with a few words that inform people quickly of the nature of your cause.
- Write a full campaign description explaining the need for help. Viewers will expect to find details about the family’s current situation, what happened to their loved one, the fundraising goal and deadline, and how donations will be used.
- Add photos or video of the person enjoying life with family and friends. Images that show faces clearly will help visitors quickly recognize that this cause is about their loved one.
Spread the Word Quickly
As soon as you start an online fundraiser, get the word out to family and friends, online and in person. Use these tips to gain more reach to help raise money for funeral expenses.
- Use the simple tools on your fundraiser page to post your cause on top social media and emails.
- Create and feature a custom URL of your fundraiser page in each message, so that people can easily learn more and make donations.
- Leverage different social media platforms to spread the news. Sites like Facebook and Twitter can help share the news with loved ones while catching the attention of potential donors touched by your campaign to give.
- If the person’s death was in the news, reach out to journalists to let them know how the community can help the family by donating to your crowdfunding campaign.
Gather Community Compassion
In addition to solving the problem of how to pay for a funeral with no money, your cause creates an online community for all those in mourning. By bringing them together, your campaign lets them honor the person who died by making donations for funeral costs, sharing memories, and leaning on each other for support. Consider these tips for gathering community support.
- Add a fundraising update each day. Online fundraisers for funeral expenses usually only last a few days to a few weeks. People will count on your page for staying connected and finding updates.
- Include memorial service details, a link to the obituary, progress toward the fundraising goal, and appreciation of supporters.
- Encourage visitors to post a message on your fundraiser page. Family members are likely to check the page daily. It will brighten their day to see notes that offer support or share memories of happier times.
- Consider starting a memorial fund or scholarship fund. This helps keep the memory of your loved alive in your community while contributing to a greater good.
Honor the legacy of a loved one with funeral fundraising. Now that you know these simple ways to raise money for funeral expenses, Create Your Free Fundraiser today. For more help on raising money for funeral services, read these fundraising tips and fundraising ideas page.