In August 2018, Backa Friskola - a new and unique elementary school designed to support children’s inner growth and true potential - will open in Molkom, Sweden. After the AMAZING success of our holistic preschool, we're now proud to also welcome children aged 6 - 16! For that expansion to take place in the best possible way, we need your help.
Backa Friskola aims to build holistic and sustainable schools that show all children that they are valuable individuals with unlimited potential. Schools that provide children with knowledge, skills and tools that can help them live their lives in self-awareness and health, and to collaborate with others to create the society they want to live in.
We truly believe that a change in education is needed if we are to build a more sustainable and healthy society and that Backa Friskola is one step towards that positive change. This school aims to be part of setting a new path for all generations to come, to live in a sustainable way in connection with nature, ourselves and each other.
The foundations of our schools are:
- Empathetic Communication (NVC)
- Interdisciplinary project-based pedagogy
- Practical outdoor learning
- Yoga and Meditation
- Creative arts
- Open-minded norm criticism
- Sustainable non-toxic environment
- Organic homemade food
Your support is needed!
To make this all come true, we will need money. State funding covers the costs of running the school but not the investments needed to be able to start. We have already raised 90,000 euro and we need at least 30,000 more.
What the money will be used for
The money raised in this campaign will be used to prepare the school buildings and gardens. With your help we can create a beautiful permaculture garden that inspires exploration and learning and use sustainable and toxic-free paint, furniture and lighting for our classrooms. Your contribution will provide the children with a wonderful school environment that supports learning, creativity, relaxation and play.
Here are some examples of what needs to be done:
- Renovating the buildings.
- Designing a Permaculture school garden.
- Painting the classrooms with ecological paint.
- Furniture and interior decoration.
- Lighting with environmental and health friendly daylight lamps.
How the school is run
The school is owned and run by a non-profit cooperative of certified teachers, staff and parents. The school has been approved for Swedish classes F - 9, (ages 6 - 16). Once we have opened, state funding will cover the costs of running the school and there will be no school fees. Anyone who wants can enroll their children in this school.
Size of School
Classes in 2018 will be F - 6 (ages 6 - 12) with 30 - 40 students in the first year and increasing from year to year.
2019: Classes F - 7, 40 - 50 students.
2020: Classes F - 8, 50 - 60 students.
2021: Classes F - 9, 60 - 80 students.
- To start more schools and preschools in Sweden.
- To inspire and support other cooperatives to start similar schools.
- To cooperate with state schools and to inspire positive change within public education in Sweden.
Our story and why we’re doing this
The journey started in 2014, with 5 very committed parents. To us, the reasons for creating an alternative school were obvious. Despite material abundance and physical security in Sweden, many young people today are feeling anxious, depressed, and powerless. We believe there is a great need to help create future adults who are emotionally balanced and inspired and who have the will and ability to contribute to society and their communities in positive ways.
Therefore, we created our schools with the following questions in mind:
- How can we offer our children a joyful schooling that gives them space to truly be themselves?
- How can we support children to grow up retaining well-being on all levels: emotionally, mentally, physically, and spiritually?
- How can we provide children and young people with the tools they need to build a more sustainable and healthy society for themselves and for future generations?
Three years ago, we started a preschool that currently has 30 children enrolled. Now we have been approved by the Swedish state to also run an elementary school!
On August 21st 2018, the doors will open for the first children at Backa Friskola.
Your support will make a huge difference for this project!
By donating any sum you are able and by sharing this campaign you are contributing towards a new approach to education that will spread and improve the lives of future generations.
Every euro counts and will be used for the project!
ALL FUNDERS WILL HAVE THEIR NAMES INTEGRATED INTO A BEAUTIFUL MURAL ARTWORK AT THE SCHOOL!
Thank you for your attention and support!
The Backa Team: Malina, Ida, Nova and Gaja