Posted on March 1, 2017
Posted on March 1, 2017Update from Chad himself:
Well just another day of recovery at home thank God ...4th day in some clothes it feels so to have my boots and feel somewhat normal .This has been home with the equipment and my super wife for managing all the pain meds 24hrs a day , she has been so inundated with being a at home mother homeschooling our four children and now taking care of a fifth child me, This is the spot all day no bend twist move so she does it all .. I give her very much credit and appreciation, I appreciate all my prayer warriors praying for her to stay strong. Very unsteady legs left leg. Some what works but no feeling in bottom of foot up the calf and right side is just recovering no feelings in right arm and have lost al lot of strength .A stutter has started but I'm in good hands the University of MN has physical , occupational and soon to be so speech therapy team, and nurse teams come threw to make sure we are on a good recovery. We'll be following up very closely with the UofM and watching the situation and having more scans to see if more work needs to be done we're still waiting on Final pathology reports to kind of give us a direction of where we're going from here. Walking and getting around on the Walker and with assistance with a lift belt gets me around a little bit make some rounds around the kitchen table just to keep some exercise just lost a lot of feelings that make me feel very unsteady On My Feet and my brain tell my body to make a move but nothing so lots of confusion... Life has changed it will be a long road of recovery but I'm a cowboy always ride high in my saddle . Long dusty roads and roads less traveled never bothered me I will try my best it is very tough to compensate for the changes so it's so emotionally straning just to keep it all together ..I appreciate all the great support all the people building this benefit event and thank you to my prayer warriors that keep putting one up for me. LOVE EVERYONE
Posted on February 13, 2017
Posted on February 13, 2017First, we would like to thank everyone who has helped, supported, or prayed for us! We couldn't do any of this without you!
Chad was released from the hospital on Tuesday, February 7th later in the evening. I went with Jordan to go and pick him up. It was both exciting and scary. I was happy to have him home and not so far away, but scared for the new challenges that lay ahead. In the last week we have slowly transitioned into being home and the kids are helping in great ways. We have had to rent a hospital bed for the recovery time as the steps to the bedrooms are not feesable for Chad at this time, and there is no way sleeping on the couch would allow him the rest he needed to heal. He is walking, but with a walker and very slowly. I never knew how much I would love those assistance belts until having to help him up and down numerous times each day.
We are waiting on the pathology reports from the arachnoid webbing (yes, just like a spider web, but something our body naturally has) that was blocking the spinal fluid. We are also waiting to see improvements in the numb left leg. This was most likely caused as the doctors were trying to place a shunt in the cyst that is still in his spinal cord. The waiting is hard. Currently, we have Physical Therapy coming to the house 2-3 times a week, Occupational Therapy will be coming at least 1-2 times per week and we even have a nurse stopping by once a week to make sure all is well since we are so far from the hospital.
We will be getting stitches taken out later this week and next week we have the follow up appointment that will let us know how he is healing. While this is coming up quick, we still have 6-8 weeks of full recovery time left before the ok is given to go back to work, if it is given, without restrictions.
Once again, thank you to everyone who has helped in some way and keep up the prayers for a healthy healing!
Posted on February 4, 2017
Posted on February 4, 2017They took out vertebrae 6, 7 and 8. With these out they noticed a webbing like thing that was putting pressure on the spinal cord and cutting off the fluid flow. They were able to cut and remove most of this. They wanted to put a shunt in the sryinx that is up under 5, so they tried to do this blindly. Immediately the sensors on his left side went down to 50%. They removed this and waited. Slowly everything went back up to 100%. They decided to try one more time, this time it went down to 20%. After a quick discussion, they decided against the shunt at this time. We will monitor the sryinx and see if it goes away now that flow has been restored. If not, we will deal with that later. They are closing him up, which could take up to an hour. Once he starts waking up, they want to see that the symptoms he had are gone. If they are not, they don't know what is wrong. Now we wait again...but from what they see, no paralysis.