Day 5 - Positive Update #2
Written 21 hours ago by Laura Dempsey
More little bits of good news!
The doctors have taken Tiffany off one of her blood pressure medications, and reduced the dosage of the other (her BP is good at 119/63).
They have slowed down the ventilator and she is breathing more on her own.
They still have her sedated and will continue to do that for her comfort.
The doctors plan to do another CT scan tomorrow to see if they can find any more pockets of infection.
Day 5 - Afternoon Update (small praise!)
Written 21 hours ago by Laura Dempsey
Just got a text from Beth -
Tiffany is able to breathe a little bit on her own! They lowered her sedation and temporarily eased off the ventilator to see how much she is able to breath on her own. She was responsive, able to breathe a little bit, and squeezed Beth's hand when Beth asked her to!
She will continue to be on the ventilator for a while longer (as she can't breathe on her own enough to come off), but encouraging to know that she is heading in the right direction. They have resumed her sedation to keep her comfortable.
Otherwise, relatively the same for now.
Day 5 - Morning update
Written Apr 12, 2013 11:51am by Beth Highfill
Ok, so the tube they inserted yesterday is draining and they have gotten a good amount of infection out, they have started the gram stain and another test that escapes me at the moment but, came back negative but, they say because Tiffany's been on antibiotics for so long that it can alter test results. She is still in critical condition and are just maintaing her through support. Blood test from this morn reveal she still has a low blood plate count, high acid level in her blood, so they want to do another CT scan of the hip area to see if they can find any other pockets of infection that they can go in and drain as they did the other one. (They highly suspect she may have more than one of these pockets of infection and onece they drain them hope to see some improvement.) The diaylsis matching keep clogging due to the fact that they can't give Tiffany any blood thinners as the normally would due to the mass 40lbs of fluid they have in her body which is needed to keep her blood presure elevated and essecially alive! The doctors are estimating that Tiffany will be heavily sedated and on a resparator until at least mid next week! Please feel free to stop by and visit even while she's out, I know her mom (Linda) has appreciated meeting many of you and welcome's all of Tiffs friends. Tiffs Brother and his girlfriend will arrive this afternoon so for today if you want to stop by come around 10am-2pm and 4pm-8pm I want them to have a little time with Tiff to themselves esspecially now that we can only have 3 people in the room at one time. But there is a waiting room right around the corner of Tiff's room! Thanks again for all your prays keep lifting Tiff and her family up before our soverign God!
If anything comes up this afternoon Laura will let you know!
Day 4 - Afternoon Update
Written Apr 11, 2013 6:55pm
The doctors were able to get an aspiration tube in Tiffany's hip! They are draining fluid and bits of infection, and hoping to get enough to do a test (gram stain). If they are able to do the test, we will have staged results back in 24 hours, and 48 hours.
Pray for good rest for Linda and Beth this evening.
Also, Tiffany's brother is flying in from Hong Kong tomorrow, so you can pray for safe travels!
Day 4 - Morning Update
Written Apr 11, 2013 10:45am
All three specialists just did a morning update -
They do see something suspicious in her hip (potentially the source of infection) and they will speak to radiologist to see if they can possibly drain the area with a needle (she is not stable enough for any surgery due to many of the medications she's currently on). If they are able to drain the area, this would likely happen sometime today.
They are also now saying that she will be on dialysis for at least a week, maybe longer.
That's all the news we have for now, I will continue to keep you posted as information flows in.
UPDATE: They are going to drain the area in Tiffany's hip with a needle (hopefully get some cultures as well). They will be doing a little blood infusion prior to and during the procedure to help with her platelet count. This will happen sometime this afternoon!
Also, Beth will be going to see Tiffany's dad tomorrow to pray and would love a small group to accompany her. Contact me or Beth for more information on time/etc.
Written Apr 10, 2013 7:26pm
No big updates - Tiffany's condition hasn't changed much today, which the Doctors are saying is good news. (she stopped declining and is now pointed in the right direction). At this point, we are still waiting for her body to recover from sepsis (her whole-body response to the infection).
They were able to lower a few of her medications a bit and the dialysis has made a noticeable difference is how she looks.
Continued prayer is needed! Join me in praying expectantly for quick healing, but also in preparing all of our hearts for patience to love well through a slow recovery.
Also, Information on a way to give towards medical bills coming soon!
Huge Praise! Linda and I went to see Bob today and he’s encouraging us to continue praying for Tiffany! He is so grateful for all DCC’s support! I am putting a small group together to go to Bayview and pray with him! May God be magnified through Tiffany’s life and into Bob’s! :)
Written Apr 9, 2013 9:00pm
Another quick update – Tiffany has declined since yesterday. Time to amp up the prayers, update coming soon.
Tiffany just went on dialysis and we are waiting for results from a CT scan. You can be praying specifically for a smooth transition to dialysis and that her kidneys bounce back quickly. Also pray that the scans would give some answers as to the source of the infection and clear next steps.
Praying expectantly that God would swiftly heal her body, the infection would subside, and that that she would quickly be well enough for more treatment.
Likely the last “real” update, no more information will likely come up tonight – CT scan came back with no clear sources of infection. (Not the ideal test, but should have shown a big source if it exists). They are done testing for tonight, as we need to wait for the dialysis to do its job and hopefully stabilize her. It’s an hour by hour thing at this point, monitoring her progress – the doctor said “it’s clearly life threatening, but we expect her to make it through this. Shes got a lot going for her and we’ve brought older and sicker make it through infections like this”
Pray for Tiffany - Day 1
Written Apr 8, 2013 10:12pm
As many of you know Tiffany has not been feeling well, and has been taken to Swedish, she has an infection that has spread through her body and are running test now to determine the origin. Please pray for her! I will keep you updated as I learn more…
Hey family – just got back from seeing Tiffany, wanted to post a quick update. She’s likely to be there for a couple of days, she’s in pain and groggy right now, but prayed with us. No news as to what it is (other than an infection of some sort), they ran tests today but no results yet. She IS in ICU right now, so do call before visiting to see if she’s up for it. (Main hospital number is 206-320-2000, they can patch you through). Because of the environment and how’s she’s feeling, large groups aren’t practical for visiting right now (if you know when you’re going perhaps post, so we can be aware?)
Join me in praying for quick healing for our sister. (Also in praying for Beth as she supports Tiff, pray for her dad who can’t be with her.)